10.84 Volts to 1 volt or .90 volts

Bcog

Joined Jan 21, 2008
I would like to take 10.84 volts and bring it down to max output of 1 or .9 volts so I can controll the voltage from .90 volts to 0 volts with a potentiometer.
Does anybody know of a rectifier diode I can purchase to bring the voltage down from 10 to 1 volts. Or any other options to get this done.
Ive never studied electronics so go ahead and laugh if this is too simple of a problem

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Hee, hee, hee, haw, haw, hee, hee, haw. haw, hee, hee, etc.
A rectifier diode drops a DC voltage about -0.7V.
You forgot to say if your 10.84V is AC or DC.

A pot controls a voltage that has a very low current. The pot usually controls the output of an electronic power circuit.
You didn't even mention how much current you need.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
It's pretty hard to give an accurate answer without knowing more about the application.

This could be very easy, or a bit difficult, depending.

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
Hi,

First, pick two or more zener diodes to give the appropriate voltage drop. I would say, between 9.84 and 9.94. This is about 9.9V, so 5.6V and 4.3V are standard zeners. Then, follow the instructions on the following page to make a zener regulator..Or, I guess you can use a LM317 regulator to take it down.

http://www.reuk.co.uk/Zener-Diode-Voltage-Regulator.htm

But, this really depends on how much current you expect to get from your 0-0.9V supply. Or, if you want it proportional to your supply, that's another story.

Steve