1/8 inch stereo jacks not insulated but metal

relicmarks

Joined Oct 13, 2006
i bought these small 1/8 inch stereo jacks that are metal and not plastic which are shorting out to the chassis encloser box

The problems i'm having is
1.) They have a metal threaded area that is shorting out to the chassis

I tried using electrical tape on the inside and outside of the chassis to keep it from shorting out , but the inside of the chassis where the jack barrel goes through is shorting it out , how can i put insulation to keep it from shorting
out?

Its really hard finding plasic nuts and washers for 1/8 inch jacks , i only can find metal ones

Another problem is:
2.) The threaded barrel part is not "long enough" to put a nut , the chassis is to thick for these small stereo jacks

What can i do?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Normal stereo jacks are designed so that the barrel is grounded.

If for some reason you absolutely have to have the barrel insulated from ground, then drill the hole quite a bit oversized, and epoxy in a piece of fiberglass to mount the jack through.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
OK, so if you can't find suitable insulating washers that will allow you to install the nut for the jack, and you don't want to drill a larger hole and epoxy in a chunk of fiberglass or PCB to insulate the jack from the chassis, then install a rubber grommet in the hole and use a free-floating inline jack on a piece of shielded audio cable.