Weller WES51 just died

sirpaul

Joined Jan 19, 2014
Moderator Note:

Hijacking (the taking over of someone elses thread) is not allowed on AAC, the thread belongs to the OP (original poster). Plus, the thread was over 4 years gone, which is necromancy. Now you have a thread of your very own.

This split from Weller WES51 just died.

I have the exact same issue as you, Frenchie. It started working for a bit, but for the last few months it went back to only working at above 75 (750F). Anything lower and it goes completely cold. It's not a lockout or calibration issue, as I've tried resetting the unit to factory defaults, as per user manual instructions.

Sorry for digging this thread up from the grave. This thread comes first when Googling for the problem, so may be of use to others having problems with the Weller iron.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I have the exact same issue as you, Frenchie. It started working for a bit, but for the last few months it went back to only working at above 75 (750F). Anything lower and it goes completely cold. It's not a lockout or calibration issue, as I've tried resetting the unit to factory defaults, as per user manual instructions.

Sorry for digging this thread up from the grave. This thread comes first when Googling for the problem, so may be of use to others having problems with the Weller iron.
Have you done any testing at all ??

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Sounds like a thermal sensor issue.

Have you checked the connections to the handset? Just wiggling and reseating the plug might do it.

Otherwise if the thermistor has failed then it will appear to regulate temperature (and flash), but the tip temperature will be very low compared to how the dial is set.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Moderator Note:

Hijacking (the taking over of someone elses thread) is not allowed on AAC, the thread belongs to the OP (original poster). Plus, the thread was over 4 years gone, which is necromancy. Now you have a thread of your very own.

This split from Weller WES51 just died.

Look at the packaging it came in - if it says Cooper Tools; throw it in the bin and buy an Antex instead.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Look at the packaging it came in - if it says Cooper Tools; throw it in the bin and buy an Antex instead.
If he was going to get rid of it then I would take it ...
But please don't troll with a Brand War , So please just help out with useful information to help with the fix....

Thanks
Jason Sr

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
What's the significance of "Cooper Tools" on the package?

Isn't a Weller iron the same no matter which supplier? Or is that a fake Weller or something?

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
If he was going to get rid of it then I would take it ...
But please don't troll with a Brand War , So please just help out with useful information to help with the fix....
Thanks
Jason Sr
Its not a brand war - Weller irons were the industry standard (I had one myself), then Cooper Tools took over and their bean counters decided quality was an extravagance.

I had the misfortune to order new parts (including a complete iron) after CT took over.

I've been using Antex ever since.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Never the less, it isn't much help for the OP.

To the OP, feel free to tell me I'm wrong.
I figured it would be helpful to the OP to draw attention to a product that I've found to be very reliable - and almost cheap enough to excuse if it hadn't been.

They say you get what you pay for - these days that isn't always true!