Suggestions for component storage?

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Hey everyone.

I was recently given a variety of components, from resistors, to diodes, to logic chips. I've decided my collection has outgrown my two flat tackle boxes, so I'd like to upgrade. I'm looking for a desktop chest of small drawers to hold all my components. I'm wondering if anyone's got some suggestions (links, sources, and prices would be very much appreciated) for component storage? I would like the drawers to have compartments so that I can divide each one up and organize it so that, for example, I can have a drawer for 5/6, which includes 56Ω, 560Ω, 5.6KΩ, 56KΩ, 560KΩ, and 5.6MΩ. I'd like to do this for each division, like 1/2, 3/3, 3/9, 4/7, etc.

Am I making any sense?

Thanks for any suggestions you might have!

Regards,
Matt

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
This is what I use.

I'm really happy with it. I can separate each drawer to up to three compartments. You can easily reach its capacity, though: man is a greedy creature.

They tend to be a bit costly for a mass of plastic, but they 're worth it if you have the components to fill them up.

However, it doesn't serve well for storing may different things. Just groups of many similar things. Ok for resistors and caps, but not for ICs or OpAmps.

There's also this thread: http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=12341

Attachments

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Hmm, I'm liking Studiot's suggestion using film canisters. Very unique, I might give that a shot....

Thanks for the link Geo!

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I would like the drawers to have compartments so that I can divide each one up and organize it so that, for example, I can have a drawer for 5/6, which includes 56Ω, 560Ω, 5.6KΩ, 56KΩ, 560KΩ, and 5.6MΩ. I'd like to do this for each division, like 1/2, 3/3, 3/9, 4/7, etc.

Am I making any sense?
No, that doesn't make any sense. I organize by decades, i.e. by the color of the multiplier. Most of my resistor stock are from the E12 5% series. I use matching color DYMO labels to label the drawers.

So I have a drawer each for

black 10Ω - 82Ω, 91Ω
brown 100 - 820
red 1k - 8.2k
orange 10k - 82k
yellow 100k - 820k
green 1M - 8.2M
blue 10M - 22M

I have a few 1% but I find it more difficult to read the color code. I always have to confirm my guess with an ohmmeter.

So you will need at least 12 compartments per decade. I have two sets of Ohmite resistor drawers so I have two drawers per decade.
If you have a small collection of 1% I would put them in little plastic bags and add them to the compartment closest to the E12 series. I use a plastic bag heat sealer to package them into neat little pouches. I seal the pouches and only cut off a corner of the pouch when I need a resistor from that pouch.

If you need to stock SMD that is a whole different ballgame.

Last edited:

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
No, that doesn't make any sense. I organize by decades, i.e. by the color of the multiplier. Most of my resistor stock are from the E12 5% series. I use matching color DYMO labels to label the drawers.

So I have a drawer each for

black 10Ω - 82Ω, 91Ω
brown 100 - 820
red 1k - 8.2k
orange 10k - 82k
yellow 100k - 820k
green 1M - 8.2M
blue 10M - 22M

I have a few 1% but I find it more difficult to read the color code. I always have to confirm my guess with an ohmmeter.

So you will need at least 12 compartments per decade. I have two sets of Ohmite resistor drawers so I have two drawers per decade.
If you have a small collection of 1% I would put them in little plastic bags and add them to the compartment closest to the E12 series. I use a plastic bag heat sealer to package them into neat little pouches. I seal the pouches and only cut off a corner of the pouch when I need a resistor from that pouch.

If you need to stock SMD that is a whole different ballgame.
I currently organize by decades but have found it is easier for me to find components by the first two digits of the value. Just something I picked up in the equipment lab at the university where I worked, I found it was much easier for me to find components quickly.

I'm not going to worry about SMD for a while, don't worry :p

Matt

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
That may be true when you are looking for the exact value.
When you are look to move up or down from a particular value then sorting up by value is preferred.
Example: you are fine tuning a 555 timer frequency and the 3.3kΩ is not quite right and you wish to move up or down.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
That may be true when you are looking for the exact value.
When you are look to move up or down from a particular value then sorting up by value is preferred.
Example: you are fine tuning a 555 timer frequency and the 3.3kΩ is not quite right and you wish to move up or down.
If you are currently in the 3/3 drawer, then simply move over one drawer to the 3/0 or 3/6 drawer. Not difficult at all, I would think.

Just my opinion :p

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I suppose that is the same as organizing by columns and rows instead of by rows and columns.
That's a good point.

Once I get the storage units I'll see what I can do for organization, and go from there.

I actually just had a thought--I could get a unit with small drawers on top (which I could use for caps) and large drawers on the bottom (that I could use to store a variety of 35mm film canisters that contain resistors and diodes).

Just a bit of brainstorming here....

Matt

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Ooh, I like that one. Not sure if it'd be the best use of space for my purposes though. However, I do like that it's portable....

Going to need to hang onto this idea....

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I'm not too sure about semiconductor and scotch tape (or any transparent tape). I used to see 2N2222A's regularly zapped by lack of ESD protocols at one of my previous jobs. It made me a believer.

In general I am very relaxed about ESD, except for storage. I also use black conductive foam in storage boxes, where I can hold 18 parts at a whack. Wrapping them in aluminum also works.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
In use for more than 30 years now. Built by my eldest brother.

Changes: stock renewed, discarding high wattage resistors, mostly coming from salvaging and old caps from the same origin.

1% values in visit cards envelopes. Believe it or not, it works.

Keeping components carefully rebagged and resealed means a waste of time I am not willing to accept. It looks nice but uses my limited time. No.

Once in a while, all resistors used in the protoboard (collected in a small tray - airways were good providers of many) are re classified, in about 30 minutes and ready to work again.

Yes, for the caps I wrote the values with notation in uF, nF and pF to avoid doubts at the worst moment.

Attachments

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
In use for more than 30 years now. Built by my eldest brother.

Changes: stock renewed, discarding high wattage resistors, mostly coming from salvaging and old caps from the same origin.

1% values in visit cards envelopes. Believe it or not, it works.

Keeping components carefully rebagged and resealed means a waste of time I am not willing to accept. It looks nice but uses my limited time. No.

Once in a while, all resistors used in the protoboard (collected in a small tray - airways were good providers of many) are re classified, in about 30 minutes and ready to work again.

Yes, for the caps I wrote the values with notation in uF, nF and pF to avoid doubts at the worst moment.
Wow, that is just beautiful! :eek:

Would love to have something like that....
If I still had access to a woodshop I could make something that would work, but alas, I do not :(