Alternative to the Molex crimp tool for the 1.25mm PicoBlade line

jerseyguy1996

Joined Feb 2, 2008
I received some samples from Molex today for their PicoBlade line. Immediately I can see that the crimp terminals are going to be too small to crimp with a pair of pliers (my normal cheap way of doing things). I looked at Molex's website to see which crimper I should use and was amazed to see that Mouser and digikey both want over $200 for that crimp tool. Does anyone know of any alternative to using this device? These are the parts that I am working with:

http://www.molex.com/molex/products/datasheet.jsp?part=active/0500588000_CRIMP_TERMINALS.xml

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
These look like some connectors I used on a system several years ago. While we had a crimp tool for production quantities we went to an outside house that did the crimp onto nicely colored wire and inserted into the housing for not too much. I found them from Molex themselves looking for their partners.

I got thru the prototype phase bu getting lucky: the electronics company next door went out of business and tossed away several hundred cables that used the same connectors. I dug em out of the dumpster (they were on top and clean), popped out the wires, and reinserted them into my housings.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
I usually just bite the bullet and buy the correct Molex crimpers.

They are stupid expensive, but in the big picture it's worth having the right tool, they last forever and make really clean reliable crimps. Crimping with pliers sounds like an exercise in frustration.

It's always that one wire that breaks, or comes loose at the 11th hour and shorts and kills your project- that's the real definition of "expensive"

jerseyguy1996

Joined Feb 2, 2008
Ya I guess if I want to use these connectors I will have to buy the molex crimper. This is just a one off project which means I will probably just not use these connectors. Maybe go back to the 2.54mm ones although these would have been pretty slick.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Just bite the bullet and get a proper ratcheting crimper. You'll save both a ton of time and frustration by doing it the right way.

There are ok ratcheting crimpers around for < $100, but general purpose, for servo type or 0.1" headers. Here is one such example for $40

The ratcheting is a MUST HAVE, as it holds the connector solid while you position the wire, then give the full crimp.

I have several of them with different "dies" for different connector types. The most often used connector sizes I leave in a new crimper, and then die sets for the other stuff I don't run into as often. Don't get a non-ratcheting crimper, and I'd suggest a solidly built one from digi-key. Once you have the frame and standardized die holders/screw spacing, die sets are $50 or less each, typically.

If you need to just get by, the one at the top may be small enough for your needs, as long as it is 30ga or larger wire. if using finer wire, you'll need a better crimper.

jerseyguy1996

Joined Feb 2, 2008
Just bite the bullet and get a proper ratcheting crimper. You'll save both a ton of time and frustration by doing it the right way.

There are ok ratcheting crimpers around for < $100, but general purpose, for servo type or 0.1" headers. Here is one such example for $40

The ratcheting is a MUST HAVE, as it holds the connector solid while you position the wire, then give the full crimp.

I have several of them with different "dies" for different connector types. The most often used connector sizes I leave in a new crimper, and then die sets for the other stuff I don't run into as often. Don't get a non-ratcheting crimper, and I'd suggest a solidly built one from digi-key. Once you have the frame and standardized die holders/screw spacing, die sets are $50 or less each, typically.

If you need to just get by, the one at the top may be small enough for your needs, as long as it is 30ga or larger wire. if using finer wire, you'll need a better crimper.
That is a great alternative to the molex crimper. I may be purchasing one of those.