Pocket size O'scope

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The analog bandwidth is only 1MHz which is low for an oscilloscope. It would be suitable only for audio or other low frequency analog signals. it would not work well for any digital signals.

nobody0608

Joined Aug 4, 2012
I see, thank for pointing out. =)
Btw, those oscilloscope that can measure the digital signals very expensive, is it?

Added:
If I want to search for an oscilloscope that are capable to work for digital signals, what kinds of specification that I need to take note?

Last edited:

dick56

Joined Apr 27, 2011
The analog bandwidth is only 1MHz which is low for an oscilloscope. It would be suitable only for audio or other low frequency analog signals. it would not work well for any digital signals.
What is the difference between analog bandwidth and measured bandwidth width which on this scope is 0-72MHZ ?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
It doesn't say, "measured bandwidth". It says, "measuring range" and I think it's a lie.

If the maximum sample rate is 1 mega-sample per second, how many samples will it take in 1/72,000,000 seconds?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Also note that the maximum sweep speed of the ebay scope is 1μs/div, so anything over a 1MHz input will occupy more than one cycle per division, giving poor horizontal resolution.

The OP might consider buying a good used oscilloscope or perhaps a new Chinese digital oscilloscope (although I understand some Chinese models have poor quality). You might also consider a digital oscilloscope plug-in for a PC, which would be cheaper. Here's a discussion about scopes that may be of interest.

For digital work, it depends upon the frequency of the digital signals. For example a scope analog bandwidth of 50MHz would work for digital signals up to about 10MHz or so.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
It's a lot better than nothing for sure, and the "pocket" portability might be great for a student. I wish they had existed when I was a student. :)

You can observe things like mains freq and audio waveforms, motor drivers, many types of digital waveforms, serial data in/out etc. I have full size 50 and 100MHz 'scopes and use them a lot, and I would say 95% of the time I'm looking at something far less than 100kHz.

I don't own one, but from a first glance the main down-side would be the tiny little screen. But for something cheaper and smaller than many multimeters as a little 'scope it would be a heck of a lot better than nothing.

nobody0608

Joined Aug 4, 2012
It's a lot better than nothing for sure, and the "pocket" portability might be great for a student. I wish they had existed when I was a student. :)

You can observe things like mains freq and audio waveforms, motor drivers, many types of digital waveforms, serial data in/out etc. I have full size 50 and 100MHz 'scopes and use them a lot, and I would say 95% of the time I'm looking at something far less than 100kHz.

I don't own one, but from a first glance the main down-side would be the tiny little screen. But for something cheaper and smaller than many multimeters as a little 'scope it would be a heck of a lot better than nothing.
Well, actually I am just trying to look for the o'scope that I can affordable. Cannot even go to lab daily as it far away from my dorm (about 30km away). It's quite very difficult to proceed when doing a project without an o'scope, since the waveform have to imagine by self (sometime the imagined waveform was totally wrong).

Trying to look for more info so that won't purchased an o'scope that totally cannot used for most of my applications.

Thank for sharing. At least I gained something useful =)

nobody0608

Joined Aug 4, 2012
You might consider a USB oscilloscope such as this, that uses your computer to display the waveforms. It's more expensive, but it has a much greater bandwidth.
Sorry for using other people's post to ask my questions.
Initially, I thought I could just ask some questions related to the original post, but the subsequent questions that I wanted to ask is totally digress.
So, I opened a new thread.
I hope that you can solve my puzzle in this post.

Thank for your helping =)