Is it possible ?

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
To make an EMP device ? I mean anything I can carry around at least.
Or one tht I can built on a roof.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
I've seen one that is used to test vehicles. It hangs suspended overhead of the test model and has a downward cone shaped affect zone. The voltages used to 'initiate' the pulse are ridiculously high and the capacitor pulse network probably costs more than one person make$ in many years.

It can be done but it would take a small fortune to make something with a useable radius of affect. Unless you plan on getting within inches of the electronic powered object you want to disable.

Also, I think this topic might be one of the forbidden, never to be spoken about ones. :)

Oops!

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The ToS is saying this about the damaging of property of others:

1. Appropriate conduct. Debates should be a civil activity and can be both enlightening and entertaining, but always keep discussion to the facts and the opinions. Ad hominem tactics and directed abuse are always "off-topic".

Forum members are responsible for the content of their posts, including information they provide, validity of this information, and any extra content they may append to the post. Illegal or inappropriate discussion or information will be removed. When there is ambiguity in the legal status of a request or reply, the Moderators and Admin will come to a consensus on whether the discussion is appropriate to remain in the public forum.

Forum members must not knowingly provide any information that may adversely affect another member; this includes, but is not restricted to, information that may potentially result in injury, death, damage or destruction of property and possessions. The administration takes this matter seriously and has the right to remove any contentious content and deal with the offending member as it deems is necessary.
So, this could be closed due to this rule.

Bertus

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
It requires a nuclear detonation. Carrying a nuke around is a sure way to get detected, arrested, and dropped in a deep dark hole.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Building a high power microwave emitter is about as much out of range as a low yield nuke with a delivery system. Then again a trillion dollars in the hands of a meglomanical fascist might just do the trick. There are potentially such people on the planet today.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
It can be done, but cost are prohibitive, as has been mentioned. I suspect it is the only reason this thread has not been closed.

A government could do it, a private individual would find it very difficult.

Anything less than a nuke would be very short range though. Military's have such devices in their inventories.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I once made the control program. For system data data acquisition used to test that military installations were up to NATO specs regarding EMP. An EMP was set off outside the insulation. And a receiver inside was used to measure the dampening. To get a decent pulse a quite large transmitter antenna was needed. And that EMP was not very destructive. So my answer will be no. But why in earth do you want to this.
I also know that the military in the former Soviet Union and USA did make some attempt to build EMP weapons. One problem with such weapons were that they were a one-shot weapons. After setting off a large EMP. The weapon was burned out

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I was alive then but the movie was too sappy for me to watch it.
Did they have a nuke? An EMP generator? Was one of them exposed to an EMP pulse? Did the EMP pulse cause the tragic death of the love-struck heroine?

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I was enlightening my self.

Thanks for clearing this out.

Making EMP is like Nuking your self. I would better off with some C4 on me. Atleast this way I would not hurt anything over a 100 feet range HUH !

The thought was clear my head of useless blah blah that is occupying this beautiful, intelligent and possibly pervert brain of mine.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
What, you want 72 virgins? Thought better of you R!f@@ :)
Like hell I want 72 Virgins. :eek:

I am better than that.

I just want 2 virgins :D.

Besides, I ain't gonna blow my self up. I was just chit chatting.

But I will give my life to protect my family.

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
Last gasp -->>-- it is possible to make a " directed energy weapon" that will totally disable a computerized car - fry the ECU - or fry other items electronic - at approx 40 ft. max [ among other devilish feats ] tho' such a thing is not really concealable if portable.

I built and debugged such a device, and soon realized how much trouble I could get into...........so took it apart.