Synchronous Counters.

jdouglasusn

Joined Aug 7, 2012
This circuit is suppose to spell out "CLUE" and repeat. I can get it to work great on multisim. But when I physically build the circuit. It doesn't work.

It spits out a seemingly random "CLCECULECLECU" Those letters are in no particular order everytime. It's something different everytime other than "CLUECLUE..."

I checked my wiring ALOT, over and over....then checked it over and over again.

I swapped both 74LS76 IC's, samething. Swapped them again with another pair, samething.
I swapped the 7 Seg display, samething.

I moved the circuit to a different part of the breadboard, and alas, same thing again.

I know the diagram is correct, and it works 100% on Multisim.

Question about the Function Generator, too. I applied a 5V square wave, but it also goes to -5V below the 0V line. Would this be an issue? If so, how can I get a positive only 5V. Will I need a diode?

Attachments

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The 74LSxx chips will not be happy with below ground voltages and I'm surprised you didn't let any magic smoke out of them. RTFDS!

jdouglasusn

Joined Aug 7, 2012
Instead of using your troubled function generator, why not just make a simple LM555 timer circuit to generate 1 Hz pulses for your circuit clock input? LM555 is easy to use and would not give -5V on the ouput.

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showpost.php?p=117640&postcount=5

Allen
That is something to consider. Thanks a bunch.
The generator wasn't liking the offset anyways, it wouldn't go far enough. I still had a negative peaks. I'll try the 555 timer. Thanks man. :)

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You MUST use bypass capacitors across Vcc and GND for the 555 timer. I suggest an 0.1uF poly metal film or ceramic cap, plus a 10uF or larger aluminum electrolytic cap.

You should also have an 0.1uF cap across Vcc & GND of each and every 74xx IC.

You need to keep your wiring short. If you have breadboarded it and have long, loopy jumpers, you need to make them as short and direct as you can. Long loopy jumpers will make them inductive, and you will have lots of "ringing" on the wiring. This will cause what seems to be random extra clocks in your circuit.

jdouglasusn

Joined Aug 7, 2012
You MUST use bypass capacitors across Vcc and GND for the 555 timer. I suggest an 0.1uF poly metal film or ceramic cap, plus a 10uF or larger aluminum electrolytic cap.

You should also have an 0.1uF cap across Vcc & GND of each and every 74xx IC.

You need to keep your wiring short. If you have breadboarded it and have long, loopy jumpers, you need to make them as short and direct as you can. Long loopy jumpers will make them inductive, and you will have lots of "ringing" on the wiring. This will cause what seems to be random extra clocks in your circuit.
I did that, it had no change.

jdouglasusn

Joined Aug 7, 2012
Is this how your circuit looked like? I run it on proteus and it works.

Allen
For the most part yes, the only difference is the values of a few components. Other than that, exactly the same. This circuit works on my simulator too. I also got it working on my board. Add to mess with a few things, though.