do not buy this multimeter

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
OK, why? I have one that is very similar (I don't see an RS232 port). I noticed the comments on shoddy construction. I like having the freq counter and capacitance meter on board.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
it doesn't measure capacitance. at all, never did; don't know why it has capacitance as a feature.

the fuse blows itself arbitrarily - ... now I know what you're thinking, but trust me. I thought the fuse was blowing on me a little too often - then one day I was checking resistance of resistors (in a tray of spares, not in a circuit) and then it stopped working. took me forever to figure out why because I was thinking "it can't possibly be the fuse" - but it was.

also when the fuse blows while taking current measurements, instead of defaulting to a reading of 0mA, it displays random drifting mA values, which can be really confusing if you don't learn to recognize it's blown fuse behaviour.

it's slow

its obtuse

i don't like it's attitude

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
...I have one that is very similar (I don't see an RS232 port). ...
Yes, mine has the rs232 port on top. looking at it closer, I think I linked to a different meter than the one I own. The one I own has a sliding cover over the jacks. I cannot find that one on the radioshack website now - probably for a reason.

so if you see the one that looks just like this one, but with the sliding cover over the jacks; that's the one you don't want

I have the older meter with the yellow holster, slide cover, and RS232 port. It has served me well for eight years, but it is finally time to move on to a better one. Yes it will blow the 1/2a fuse on the ma reading (done that), that's why there is a 10a jack, read on that first when in doubt. As with most anything, people have different experiences, expectations, and needs from a meter.

I have seen the eevblog video, and by several measures the Rshack meter is ahead in some categories. Those points being nice stable stand, solid feel, threaded brass inserts for the screws, solid looking probe jacks, and the switch contacts on the pcb are gold plated. Also, the logging PC software is not something you would see in a $50 meter. I have found the frequency reading on this meter is really handy, up to a few MHz, with duty cycle, and pulse width to boot.

You would expect some newer meters to have some added features or increased range capability, over the older Rshack meter referenced above.

The capacitance readings do work within its rather narrow range.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
I bought the 22-812 model about 8 years ago because I needed the serial port for something I was doing. I keep it in my shop as a backup meter (I normally use my Fluke DMM for most work). This Radio Shack meter performs as advertised and I've checked it's AC, DC, and frequency performance with better instruments and it works well. It works well enough for the average person and it's a Cat II instrument, which would be fine for the average homeowner.

It sounds like you got a lemon -- I'd return it to the store and get a replacement.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
It sounds like you got a lemon -- I'd return it to the store and get a replacement.
Well, you're the 3rd to defend it and nobody has reported the same as me, so you must be right. I noticed the 3 of you mention that your meters are older than mine (<1yr) so maybe mine has a batch issue. I don't know. I might still have the receipt. Whatever the case, I'm not printing a retraction; I am disgusted with it.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I bought a fairly expensive Fluke DMM and my boss bought a fairly expensive RadioCrap DMM a short time later. My Fluke still works perfectly 18 years later and his RadioCrap meter failed after one week and the store could not replace it because it was probably the only one that they ever had.

I don't know how I found this old thread.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Never buy anything at Radio Shack. Most of their stuff is manufacturer's "seconds" they won't sell under their own name. Even if the stuff is OK, you can beat the price.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I bought two pairs of speakers that were half-price at RadioCrap (RadioShack?) while they were still in Canada ripping people off.
The Minimus 7 speakers were rated at 40 Whats but the woofers were stamped "Korea 5W). They sounded great and lasted a long time.

The other speakers had good 6.5" woofers but garbage cone tweeters. I replaced the tweeters with high quality inexpensive dome tweeters and I ported each enclosure. Now they sound great and also have lasted a long time.

I bought a long expensive S-video cable at RadioCrap. Then I saw exactly the same Chinese one at The Dollar Store for only $1.00. I bought it, took it to RadioCrap and got my money back.:D
The RadioCrap one is still installed in my home.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
fluke all the way. The meter i bought most recently was a fluke 189 off ebay, probably 10yrs old, used & abused for 125$. Beats the hell out of buying a 50$ radioshack meter, finding out it's crap, buying a 100$ radio shack meter, finding out that's crap as well, and then buying a fluke. I should have just done it in the first place. At work I use a Fluke 289 and a fluke 192B scopemeter. Both are F*ing awesome and I wish I could afford to have one of my own.

In my experience it doesn't pay to buy anything but fluke

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Fluke ! Fluke ! Fluke ! Fluke ! Fluke ! Fluke ! Fluke ! Fluke ! Fluke ! Fluke ! Fluke ! Fluke ! Fluke ! Fluke ! Fluke ! Fluke ! Fluke ! Fluke ! Fluke ! Fluke ! Fluke ! Fluke ! Fluke ! Fluke ! Fluke ! Fluke ! Fluke ! Fluke ! Fluke ! Fluke ! Fluke ! Fluke ! Fluke ! Fluke ! :D

morganism

Joined Apr 13, 2012
Just got a nice Metex on dealextreme with DC inductor for under 100. nice deal on my first clamp on ! picked up the pocket tester from them at the same time.

I use an older Extech for most stuff.