Digital Dictionary

madhusudan.pigeonsembs

Joined Mar 17, 2011
Hi,
I want to do digital dictionary project. Project details are as follows...

This will be portable device.
Function:
We have to enter the word from keypad. And the description of that word will be displayed on our LCD.

Hardware:
1. Controller
2. Keypad ( Query or mobile keypad)
3. Graphical LCD
4. EEPROM

According to me:
We have enter the word from keypad. The controller will search the word from the dictionary database stored in EEPROM & if found then it will retrieve the related things from EEPROM and display on the LCD.

MY Problem:
1. Which MCU will be perfect for this project ?
2. Is there any dictionary database available to be loaded into EEPROM ?
3. What will be searching algorithm ?

Request to all , if anyone can help me on above things then i will be ever grateful to him...

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
1. Which MCU will be perfect for this project ?
Any,more faster the mcu (the rate at which instructions are carried out) more faster your search will be.

2. Is there any dictionary database available to be loaded into EEPROM ?
I think your are developing your own embedded system ,so the format for your database will be according with your system design not some thing already available form internet or otherwise you have to design the system according to the database and which would be messy.Anyway may be some generalize version is their try google...

3. What will be searching algorithm ?
That depends on the format of your database.

Good luck

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Will the database change or will it be static? If it is static you could use some hash function to access the correct information.

upand_at_them

Joined May 15, 2010
Google returns a lot of hits for "download dictionary database".

If you're going to store definitions too it's going to require a lot of storage space. I think Atmel or Microchip makes EEPROM chips in the 2Gb size? I would go with an SD card as suggested, which will then require an interface to read it.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Can anyone give some links for dictionary database which can be loaded into EEPROM or micro SD card ????????
I guess you will have to do it by yourself, best would be getting some xls or csv spreadsheet and converting it to suit your needs. Also you will somehow have to choose which words you will delete as it is likely you will run out of space, and you cant just delete everything that starts with R and further :D