Reverse Polarity (after power stops)

InfoSponge

Joined Apr 21, 2011
Heres what I need to achieve. When a/the timer stops powering 1-90 sec.
I need to reverse polarity and retract a linear actuator.
Timer powers actuator to open but I need it to close after timer powers off.
Or any other Suggestions?

Timer 6v or 12v
Actuator 6v or 12v

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010

Motor travels one direction when timer is 'on'.

Motor travels opposite direction when timer is 'off'.

Motor stops at full retract or extend limits, no matter what state 'timer' is in.

One additional relay is needed to make motor 'pause' in whatever position you need it. I didn't draw that part. Let me know if you need that feature.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010

Motor travels one direction when timer is 'on'.

Motor travels opposite direction when timer is 'off'.

Motor stops at full retract or extend limits, no matter what state 'timer' is in.

One additional relay is needed to make motor 'pause' in whatever position you need it. I didn't draw that part. Let me know if you need that feature.
If you are extending and you hit the limit, you won't be able to retract again unless you can physically move the actuator off the limit switch & vise versa.

InfoSponge

Joined Apr 21, 2011
Okay I am a Newbie/Sophomore and am sorry to ask can this be explained in layman's terms. I do understand a bit.
I want it to fully retract first (Power on) then fully extend when power shuts off. Then be ready to do the same procedure when the timer restarts. This will happen several times a day.

Last edited:

williamj

Joined Sep 3, 2009
Okay, now I'm confused. Do you want the timer to control the circuit power or the actuator?

In your original post I got the impression that the actuator was controlled by the timer but in you last post I get the impression that the circuit power is controlled by the timer.

Curiouser and curiouser, can you clarify?

williamj

InfoSponge

Joined Apr 21, 2011
Timer controls the actuator 1st (retracts)
when actuator is fully retracted it will hit the built in limits switch
shutting off the actuator. The timer will still be running, say 30secs.
Once the timer stops running/power then the actuator needs to 2nd (extend) till it hits the built in limit switch then at this point the total system is now ready for the next timed session.

[ I believe your first impression is correct ]