Finite state machines

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Post up your corrections here and we will alert Dennis to the changes. He can then port the changes across to the master copy at ibiblio. We will then run the update scripts here at AAC to update that version.

Dave

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Ok then. Here it is:

In step 2, this:
Step 2
The next step is to design a State Diagram. This is a diagram that is made from circles and arrows and describes visually the operation of our circuit. In mathematic terms, this diagram that describes the operation of our sequential circuit is a Finite State Machine.
Should become that:
Step 2
The next step is to design a State Diagram. This is a diagram that is made from circles and arrows and describes visually the operation of our circuit. In mathematic terms, this diagram that describes the operation of our sequential circuit is a Finite State Machine.
Make a note that this is a Moore Finite State Machine. Its output is a function of only its current state, not its input. That is in contrast with the Mealy Finite State Machine, where input affects the output.
In this tutorial, only the Moore Finite State Machine will be examined.
Also, the third to last image that has the legend:
Karnaugh Map for the Output variable Y
should be substituted with the attachment.

Attachments

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Once we 're at it, let's make some fine retouchees. Please use search to locate the text in question.

The phrase:
That means that its output was dependent only by its current inputs.
Should be:
That means that its output is dependent only by its current inputs.

The phrase:
This is where our circuit starts from and where it waits for another button press
needs a full stop at its end.

The phrase:
The second circle is the condition where the button is just pressed and our circuit needs to transmit a HIGH pulse.
should be:
The second circle is the condition where the button has just been pressed and our circuit needs to transmit a HIGH pulse.

The phrase:
Our example has only one output. In this example, the output is dependant only on the current states. This is the reason the outputs column has two 1: to result in an output Boolean function that is independant of input I.
should be:
Our example has only one output. Since we have built a Moore Finite State Machine, the output is dependent only on the current states. This is the reason the outputs column has two 1: to result in an output Boolean function that is independent of input I.

The phrase:
We fill them in with all the binary numbers from 0 to.
doesn't need a fullstop at its end.

The phrase:
If we get to a row whose Current State number...
should be:
If we have to fill in a row whose Current State number...

The phrase:
What remains, is to determine the Boolean functions that determine the inputs of our Flip Flops and the Output.
should be:
What remains, is to determine the Boolean functions that produce the inputs of our Flip Flops and the Output.

That will be all (I think...).

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The way I like to do it is show the original, the post a second with all the changes in red.

I'm in a similar situation, a lot of editing crap made it through incorrectly, plus some of the articles are out of sequence (I worded them in such a way they referred to previous articles). I'll be contacting Dennis separately.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
If memory serves right, the article is more than 5 posts long, with the attachments. That would be kinda cumbersome.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Take a look at my ESD article in the writers forum, I did it there.

You don't have to print the whole article, just the sections that are being revised.