Need help to I.D. power supply thermistor

DICEPD

Joined Feb 7, 2011
Awesome forum, wish I would of found it a long time ago!

First off, I know my bit of circuitboards and electronics. I own a small shop building standalone ECUs for a line of auto engines. However I also have been DJing on the side.

I have been using this power supply with great success. http://cgi.ebay.com/12V-DC-30A-350W-Regulated-Switching-Power-Supply-MW-New_W0QQitemZ390096861039QQcategoryZ58288QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp5197.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%252BDDSIC%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D170595276354%252B310273322890%252B270639263385%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6911495395181962290#ht_5663wt_1076

However I had changed my setup and the new setup puts my power supply next to my class A/B amplifier, which obviously puts out a bit of heat.

I didn't have time to install the fan systems I wanted, so I two just working the power supply. I had it running around 4-5 hours and then the amplifier went into Thermal protection mode, obviously not good while DJing live :(

I grabbed another full size fan and put it on them, I then switched the power off to the power supply and I hit it back on, I got about 4-5 seconds of sound then BAM nothing, no lights or anything. I ended up going to my backup system for the rest of the night.

Today, I took the power supply out for inspection and ran across this little problem...

Which went right above the glass fuse in this picture...

I assume this might of saved the PS from death, but I cannot ID the component. I know some NTCs are inrush limiting devices, but I don't have any experience with them and with the thermistor in really bad shape I have no idea what to replace it with.

In all honesty, I am not entirely sure what broke it. Was it faulty to start with? Or when I turned the system back on too soon, the thermistor was already to warm and broke?

The only thing printed on the circuit board is NTC1, as well.

And if anyone has any other suggestions as far as a 15v high amperage power supply I am open to suggestions, but I don't have a great network of people who know much about this stuff locally, its a blessing I found this site :)

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Looks like you found a "toasted two-legged critter" - as to what it's actual value is would be anyone's guess. These sorts of devices can be used to reduce peak start-up loads, but if the constant load is too high, they'll burn up.

Try contacting the manufacturer and ask what the correct value is for NTC1 on the board, or ask for a replacement part. That would beat buying a new one.

If you don't get satisfaction quickly, then consider buying a replacement supply from http://www.mpja.com - I've never been disappointed with anything I've ordered from them.

DICEPD

Joined Feb 7, 2011
Looks like you found a "toasted two-legged critter" - as to what it's actual value is would be anyone's guess. These sorts of devices can be used to reduce peak start-up loads, but if the constant load is too high, they'll burn up.

So would you guess that I could of had to much of a load on it for to long?

Another thing I had thought about was adding a secondary PS unit to it. I can get 15v/30a PS like this for less than 30 bucks to my door, but anything above that and its over a 100 bucks. I assume I could run two in parallel and have near 60 amps on supply. (I do run a 1 farad capacitor for keeping the load from peaking).