Question: How to record an electric piano using MIDI output to laptop?

Izzame08

Joined Sep 7, 2010
Hi,
I've been wanting to record some pieces on my electric piano (Casio CLP-115) for some time.
I've tried using basic microphones which do the job, but the quality isn't great, and I don't really have the money to fork out on an expensive one.
I recently bought a MIDI-USB cable that connects my piano to my laptop.
However I'm not sure how to use this to record anything.

My piano has 3 MIDI ports: In, Out and Through.
The cable has 2 MIDI plugs and 1 USB plug.

Any advice/ideas whatsoever would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Midi doesen't transmit sound, just information like note and loudness, etc. Your best bet would be to use the line out, or maybe even the headphone out from the keyboard into the line in on the laptop.
If your laptop doesen't have one, cheap USB soundcards will give you one and should be better than cheap microphone recording.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Most sound cards also come with some sort software for recording sounds to comon sound file formats. If not you will find tons of free software doing that.
I think. Here is some software I think you can test. If you have a midi keybord you should be able record on your PC, with a midi cable and a midi interface
Edit: A direct link is always best. So if you do not need any voice recording. Do not use microphones

Last edited:

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
If you wish to use the keyboards' MIDI ports, you will need to use sequencing software on your computer to capture the MIDI data, and later send it back to the keyboard to re-create your composition.

If your keyboard is General MIDI compatible, you should be able to simply play the midi file on your couputer's sound card, and it will sound reasonably similar to what you recorded.

There are some freeware music sequencing programs out there, but the really good ones like Cakewalk are not free.

You could connect from the "line out" keyboard jack to the "line in" jack on your laptop. Your laptop "line in" requires a 1/8" stereo mini plug. Your keyboard "line out" is likely either two RCA jacks, or two 1/4" mono jacks. If you live near a Radio Shack, they will likely have the cables and adapters that you will need.

[eta]
Are you certain that it's not a Yamaha Clavinet?
I found the manual for a Yamaha CLP-115 here: http://www.retrevo.com/support/Yamaha-CLP-115-Music-Keyboards-manual/id/960ci876/t/2/

Apparently, that particular model does not have a "line out" connection; just two stereo headphone jacks. Those will be the wrong impedance to interface with the line-level inputs to your sound card, as headphone jacks are generally 8 Ohms, where line level is 10k Ohms.