Audio Problem in PC TV Tuner

mowaisshahid_horticulture

Joined Jul 30, 2010
Salam friends, i am having the tv card Sunwin SM-230s. There are two problems, first is, that The audio is completely gone. Either it dont play the voice via its own built in speaker, nor with the external amplified speakers.Its speaker is okay. I took the card to a repair shop, but they said its processor (may be they mean IC) is damaged, thats why the sound is gone. But i dont agree with them. 2nd problem is that when it is connected with the minitor, it dont display the picture. may be its problem with the minitor cable. With the tv its ok, but audio is not.
So plz tell me the solution. i am really affraid about it bcoz i cant buy another.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
If the IC is failed, it will usually show visible damage. Look for holes in the chip. This is usually caused by overheating. If you put into a computer, and the computer recognises it, the IC is very likely to be perfectly working... it either works or it doesn't.

A new TV card is very cheap. It might not be worth the effort to repair it.

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
Tom. Thats not quite true. Visible physical damage is definately a possibility but highly unlikely. Static damage is much more likely. The problem with static damage is that it may have occurred ages ago and only surface recently due to it not causing an instant failure but rather a weakening of the silicon. At a later date internal stresses cause the final failure.

Now to the OP. If you don't have either sound or picture and the repair shop tried it as well it won't be cables or speakers. Logic says look for a common point of failure...... in this case the TV card. I suggest bite the bullet and buy a new one.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Yeah, that's why I said to check if it worked in a computer. An IC is very complicated, and a failure in one small part often causes the entire thing to stop working. I've found quite often damage to an IC results in the chip getting very hot (i.e. static damage on one of the IO pins leading to latchup causing overheating.)