Regenerative braking model

rattleraj2000

Joined Jul 11, 2010
hi,
i am trying to do a regenerative braking model. I am using a 12v permanent magnet dc motor. I ve coupled a freewheel to the motor shaft so that on braking(cutting of supply from motor by using a DPDT switch) the voltage generated by the motor gets collected onto the capacitor connected to the other terminal of the DPDT switch. It is working and showing constant rise in the capacitor charge. the capacitor charge stays for a very long time successfully since i have put a diode and a resistor in series with the motor terminal and the capacitor. I am now trying to use the charge of the capacitor to light up an led which i am not able to light since the voltage stored in the cpaciotr is very small about 1.5 volts and the led lights up on 2.5 volts. can anyone please suggest me a method in which i can amplify this capacitor voltage so as to light the led. presently i am thinking of using a dc-dc step up converter,but yet to test it.please help.

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
the capacitor charge stays for a very long time successfully since i have put a diode and a resistor in series with the motor terminal and the capacitor.
First, if you don't use an appropriate title for your question, then others might not even look at your post in the first place.

For your problem, I would suggest you try it without the series resistor to reduce energy loss so that voltage on the capacitor can rise above 1.5V to enable you to light a LED. If that fails, try reducing the capacitance by half to get a higher terminal voltage.

rattleraj2000

Joined Jul 11, 2010
Regenerative and recuperative Electrical energy system demonstrator:

I apologise for the inconvienience regarding the title. I am a new user.
Thank You for the suggestion. I will try it out. the capacitor used in my experiment is 2200uF.
Will connecting a DC-DC step up converter be of any help. Since I got this DC multiplier circuit which boosts up the voltage from 0.7v - 3.3v. from the link http://www.reuk.co.uk/DC-Voltage-Multiplier-Circuit-Plans.htm.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Greetings rattleraj2000,

Don't worry about the title hiccup. I have edited it to more closely align with your topic. Hope you get the assistance you need.

hgmjr

rattleraj2000

Joined Jul 11, 2010
I am using a normal 2.5volts led. I am now having a look at the joule thief led.

For switching purpose I am using a DPDT switch. does it use up most of the coltage which would have otherwise been used to charge the capacitor? On researching I saw that a power MOSFET was used and a PWM generator was provided to give the pulses for the switching of MOSFET. But i couldnt quite get the principle.

please help.!!

rattleraj2000

Joined Jul 11, 2010
I am storing the energy in a capacitor of 2500 uF,16v. How do i upload a schematic which i made it in paint ?? please suggest. I am trying to upload the schematic i made

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Here is a part of the FAQ on posting aatachments:

Attachments and Images

How do I attach a file to a post?
To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.
On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.
To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.
Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.
What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?
In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.
How do I add an image to a post?
If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.
To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing
after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.

Bertus

rattleraj2000

Joined Jul 11, 2010
After giving an input nearly 2.5 volts I am swictching on the motor by a DPDT switch. the other end connected to the capcitor. On changing the DPDT switch the motor gets disconnected from the supply and due to the inertia it generates a voltage until it comes to a stop. this voltage generated gets stored in the capacitor.

rattleraj2000

Joined Jul 11, 2010
I am using a Scalextric car. I dont have the motor specifications for that, But as for thesearch in the net i got it as 12-15v motor at 18000rpm

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
What is the maximum RPM's that you are running those motors at? The reason I ask, is because I wanted to try and figure out how much output you get from the motor when braking.... since those motors are rated for 18000 RPM's, they would have to be spinning that fast to generate close to 12 to 15 volts output, but since you are only able to charge the capacitor to around 1.5 volts, you must be running the motors at very low RPM's..... If you do not need the speed, then you could generate more power from lower RPM PM DC Motors, if you have to option anyway... Are the motors geared down at all, or are you running them directly off the motor shaft?? If you do have a gear reduction, what is the the gear ratio?

Edit:
I looked up the specs of the car so I have the answers to my questions.....

Mabuchi SP; 18k rpm; Gear ratio 11:36
B. Morse

rattleraj2000

Joined Jul 11, 2010
rite now I am using a simple 12v Permanent magnet dc motor. I don ve the specifications for them. Its a unilab product. I am not able to get the data sheet.I have coupled the motor with a free wheel so that it rotates more after the supply is cut off. but its not able to generate more than 1.5v. But it doesnt. I am runnin it on almost 5-6v. but the charge stored is very less. I am attaching the capacitor charge. Please find attachment. thank you

Yeah. That is the one MABUCHI.. Thanks

Attachments

rattleraj2000

Joined Jul 11, 2010
I have not yet tried with the scalextric car. But I am going to use it since I want to demonstrate in a real time toy car showing enough regenerative energy captured to improve its own motor performance. is it possible??please help

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
You will not get more power than that from the motor unless it is spinning at its maximum RPM's..... you will most likely have to come up with a way to light the LED off of that amount of power.... as suggested possibly a joule thief circuit will be sufficient to accomplish this >>>

This circuit is enough to light bright LED off of 1.5 Volts.... I have used the same to light 9 white LED's off of 1 1.5 volt AAA battery.... see video here >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zVOcND-FuQ

B. Morse

rattleraj2000

Joined Jul 11, 2010
Thanks for the help.

Is it possible to light the led directly from the capacitor without a battery?? since charging takes a very long time for it.
Is it even possible to run the motor at its high speed and use the energy to improve the effeciecny of the motor itself once the energy is recovered.?? Since i wanted to demonstrate to improve the motor effeciciency.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Since the voltage from the motor freewheeling is a.c. (check this with an oscilloscope) try a voltage triper or voltage quadrupler. Look on Wikipedia. This ought to give you ~6V which can be reduced appropriately for the LED. If you use Schottky diodes in the doubler you will get even better output.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
You should be able to light the LED right off of the capacitor using the joule thief circuit, but you may want to somehow keep the LED circuit disconnected while charging, or the circuit will just drain it as you are trying to charge the cap.

I am not sure if there would be enough energy generated to be able to power the motor itself...

B. Morse