dual axis solar tracker (mppt)

himanshu1990

Joined Jun 23, 2010
hey there seniors....

m preparing a solar tracking device that i have to finish within this week..
i have already completed the major portion...
plz see attachment...

bt i want to make two improvements...

1.)incorporate another two LDR's for season mounting...
2.)incorporate a dc to dc converter (variable duty cycle) for MPPT...

the circuit shows for a single motor...
kindly advice...
thanx....

Attachments

himanshu1990

Joined Jun 23, 2010
hey thanx vasanthkini...
i need a dc\dc converter for maximm power point tracking of the solar tracker....

by varying the duty cycle of the dc\dc conv. we make sure that the solar panel sees a load that corresponds to the maximum power point.....
by varying the duty cycle we bring the load line for the solar panel to the point where it gives max output power....

plz refer to the attachment for further assistance

I am looking for some circuit for that takes little power and has an adjustable duty cycle...

i am using a crystal oscillator for the controller so i wont be able to use that for the dc\dc conv. as it gives fixed frequency oscillations ...
but i need to take up minimum hardware...

that's what i am asked for...

Attachments

Hey !

I get what exactly you are looking for.I have worked on these projects quite a lot.Varying the duty cycle is simply nothing but PWM technique.Please give me the spces of the converter and ill help you proceed further.

Thanks !

Last edited:

himanshu1990

Joined Jun 23, 2010
hey sir..

sorry for replying so late...

well...
there arent any specifications as such..
all i want to do is install a dc/dc conv in bw the load and the solar panel...

this matches impedance levels so that the quiscent point is at the maximum power point...

for that we need a variable duty cycle converter...

so do i have to install a multivibrator or an oscillator that gives variable oscillations...

plus I am using a crystal oscillator for the controller...
is there a way so that i can make the controller use the const duty cycle oscillator output and use the same as the variable duty cycle input to the converter..?

I may not be using a PV panel anyways coz of limited funds...

i am jst preparin a prototype for the sun tracker that tracks the sun for max. open circuit output and uses dc converter for maximum power point trackin.....

plz suggest if there are ny limitations associated...
thanx....

Dear Himanshu,

A converter will have a input voltage and required out put voltage.With out these details,how would you be able to design a converter?From the solar panel,as per the panel you will have a certain amount of voltage that goes to the input of the converter.This can be stepped down or stepped up as per the requirement,which then goes to your load.We employ PWM tech to vary the duty cycle which is achieved by using a power switch.If you are looking for just the theoretical part of the converter,then let me know.

Thanks!

Last edited:

himanshu1990

Joined Jun 23, 2010
HI SIR

just as i told you i havent actually thought to install a solar panel as such...

becoz of limited funds..

so i really dont know about the ratings and all..

let us assume that we have a solar panel that can give an optimal output....
and we are driving a dc bulb...or something then what can we use....??
plz suggest....

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Well typically you would use a DC to AC inverter so you could use standard appliances with the solar panels.

If this is a mobile unit, used to pump water or light a cave, you need:

Solar panels,
charge controller,
batteries

That is all you need to run DC stuff... well you will still need to get the DC to the required voltage for the task.

himanshu1990

Joined Jun 23, 2010
hey there retched...
the problem is that by using a dc/ac inverter the panel wont reach maaximum power point...

plz refer to the previous replies of this thread and their attachments....

dakicha

Joined Aug 31, 2010
For me the best two axis solar tracking system to be applied to any mechanical system we have is the SolarElectronica Company.
Works form 10 to 36v with any dc motor. You can see details www.solarelectronica.com
and best of all, very affordable.
That works great. I bought the unit, some time ago and works with incredible accuracy regardless of my engines are the worst!
I use CPV (concentration modules)