Electronics to Civil

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I am who I am and I am going to be some one whom I never thought I will be.

Civil Engineering
. :eek:

This is my Civil off thread...and funny stuff will be coming so keep an eye here, u won't regret it
Lot of info's have been collected and we will discuss them in due time.
stay tuned. :D

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Know the difference between civil engineers and avionics engineers?

Civil engineers make targets, avionics engineers make weapon systems.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I am studying Civil Engineering. It's not a major change.
In Maldives you won't find a building that does not have trouble.
You will definitely find leaks in slab and wiring issues. Even with those who has money to throw around are falling for fake construction companies here.
I have done a lot of research case to study the sight supervisors here. 95% of them has a diploma ( I doubt it's legit) and the ones with a degree or Master are high class employees and they don't want to do site supervision, without supervision the laborer are selling the stuff used and sometimes it's the supervising engineer who is responsible for this. Well mostly it is the engineer who get's rich. Corruption is everywhere.
And I am messing with everyone.
I have a story of corrupt senior whom I am going to bust. Since I am the main man behind this, I cannot yet tell the story as the mission is almost at a success. Once the bugger get's arrested I'll tell you the story.
As for the buildings here, the very recent one finished which belongs to an uncle of mine is having trouble and the building has unfinished floors yet even now they having issues in the plumbing and wiring.
The plumbing issue were rectified by foreign experts, ( not most of us have the capacity to hire experts ) the plumbing were fixed without glue and a few rooms got flooded. As the water supply here has very high pressure, the walls started to leak with in minutes.
The electricity were the best part. We can switch on lights in the next floor :D. And to think they were done by experts who have permission from our electric company.

I have yet to visit the uncles house and take some proof pictures. Been very busy lately.

The reason I am studying civil at a limited level is that as you all know my home is demolished and all the necessary steps are done to build a seven storey building there. I am going to supervise all the concrete work. so no one is going to mess with my home. This is going to be fun as I was involved in building when I was little. I can do masonry work. Wouldn't you believe that.

I have got a ll the estimates from a few companies and a guess what it's a good for a laugh. I'll show you this later. For now bye.
Stay tuned as I unravel the quality of the most well known companies here.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
The problem you will have the contractor that you are talking about
Is probally like contractors here,they have license,Insurance,sometime
they are bonded with government permission.You can see what going
on,but hard to get anyone to do anything. Here you have to have
plumber or electrian to have permit to do job.Since you are on the ocean,
you have to have some kind of building code.
Take the test to become a contractor,you must be able to pass it.
There no contractors,even a friend that won't take advanage of
you that there way of life.So we have the same problem you do.
Good luck, keep us posted,don't get into trouble.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
So you also have these kind of issues and I thought we were in a bad mess.
I trying to get familiar with the concrete layout and the iron rod and all that...

Hey guess what...I think I am going to go green....Environment friendly building.
With all the fancy solar charging and led lights..any idea....what I should know about jumping in to things...
c'mon....some suggestions please

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
The first thing you want is a solar water heater. It does mean you need a tank but you should cut your hot water costs right down.
Is it fairly sunny in the Maldives? :D

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
It is like hell here......who needs hot water at the equator dummy :p
You shud really google abt maldives.
We sometimes need cold showers though :D

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Yeah!! I am thinking of those things...but my main concern is to light the building without using local supply.
I am thinking abt it a lot.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Today is a big day as we have finalized which contractor will be handling the work.
They are too very keen on the green building thingy I proposed :D

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
It is like hell here......who needs hot water at the equator dummy :p
You shud really google abt maldives.
We sometimes need cold showers though :D
Well to have have what Bill Clinton claimed NOT to have with that woman, Miss Lewinsky. ... Under a warm shower can be quite exciting. You are missing something on the Maldives:rolleyes:
Just my 02 cents

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
May be ur right. There are solar heaters mounted on some buildings.
Now most of the rooms are A/C. guess we will need hot showers.

Are you an expert on this?