relay to reverse polarity of 12v current on timer

ammich1

Joined Dec 7, 2009
A similar thread was started on 06-05-2009, 08:27 AM. I have the same question and there is not an answer.

I am trying to make an automatic control system for a 12v dc motor.
The system will open a hinged door in the AM with a 120v timer. The timer will only be energized for 30 minutes each time it is activated. The door will close when the timer goes off again in the PM. The motor is connected to limit switches to stop the motor at each end.
How do I reverse polarity with a dpdt relay? I am having a hard time getting my brain to think this though.
Thanks.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
To be able to reverse the direction of the motor and stop it completely you will need two SPDT relays or a SPST (at least) relay and a DPDT relay.

If you use two SPDT relays connect:

the motor positive on relay1 C and the motor negative on relay2 C

the positive supply on relay1 and relay2 NO

the negative supply on relay1 and relay2 NC

When relay1 is energized the motor rotates in one direction. When relay2 is energized the motor rotated in the other direction. If both relays are off or on the same time then the motor stops.

If you use a SPST (at least) relay and a DPDT relay have a look at figure 3 here:

http://www.distel.co.uk/DC_MOT_CON1.htm

Replace SW1 with the SPST relay and you have full control.

ammich1

Joined Dec 7, 2009
Thanks for the reply. I need to get the relays and then I will give it a try.
Just for my info...is there any way to reverse a motor using 2 power sources(like 2 120v timers), diodes and 2 limit switches?
Thanks

ammich1

Joined Dec 7, 2009
The 120v timers are plain plug into the wall 24 hour vacation timer. You push the nib down for the times you want power supplied. I was thinking that one timer could be + polarity and the other timer - polarity. This would change the motor direction depending on the time of day. Sorry, no high tech stuff here. I am having a hard enough time with this simple circuit to start including fancy stuff.
Thanks

ammich1

Joined Dec 7, 2009
Yes, the timers o/p is 120v but I have 12v dc adapters that I would plug in, so it is now basically a 12v timer.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
You can use two timers to control the motor but it is not the best solution since you need two relays.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
KMoffet,

It would be better to control the relay coil with the limit switches and not the motor because if the motor needs large currents then the required limit switches will be bulky and expensive.

ammich1

Joined Dec 7, 2009
I have the thing working!!! Thanks, so much!
Now that it is working, I have some more questions? Was I to use the 2 SPDT relays(method 1 from first reply) instead of 1 DPDT for safety? If I would have used the DPDT relay the circuit could have given the motor power to reverse and go forward at the same time? Am I understanding this right?
Are you sure you can't use diodes, 2 timers, 2 wall warts, and 2 limit switches to reverse a motor? I wasted alot if time trying to get that to work. It really hurt my brain.

Thanks again. My next project is to make a solar water heater for less than a gallon of water. I only need it to keep the water above freezing. Any suggestions on where I should get some ideas?

ammich1

Joined Dec 7, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion with the 120v relay. That would certainly have worked for me. The motor I am running is tiny. I might have some reservations about having the coil energized for 12 hours each day.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Are you sure you can't use diodes, 2 timers, 2 wall warts, and 2 limit switches to reverse a motor? I wasted alot if time trying to get that to work. It really hurt my brain.
You can use two timers, two wall warts and two limit switches but you have to make sure the timers will be never turned on the same time because the wall warts will be destroyed. It will be good to put a fuse on each positive side of the wall warts to protect them in case both timers turn on.

ammich1

Joined Dec 7, 2009
I must have been wiring it wrong. I was using diodes in place of fuses. It would reverse when I unplugged one wall wart and plugged in the other, but the motor turned very very slowly. I was only getting about 3 volts to it. You don't happen to have that wiring diagram archived anywhere do you?
Thanks.

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
I'm afraid that you can't. Your wall wart polarities are opposite of each other, which precludes the use of blocking diodes. The wall warts cannot be simultaneously connected to the motor, whether the other timer is on or not. If you already tried this you may have already popped one of the wall warts.

ammich1

Joined Dec 7, 2009
Thanks for the info. I'm glad to know it won't work, since I was unable to make it work. The wall warts seem to be okay, but I'll mark them so I know which ones might have future problems.
Am I on track with my thinking about the use of the 1 DPDT relay versus 2 SPDT relays. Is it just so both cannot be energized at the same time?