I need a simple design

pyrillix

Joined Jan 31, 2014
I have a need for a simple circuit to drive a mosfet. The mosfet i have is a high current design (80a). The driver would be operated by a npn proximity switch (6 to 30 volt). The driver would only operate on average around 10 hz, with a max of 25 hz. I am willing to pay a small fee for your assistance.
I have specs for the mosfet and proximity switch I use if needed.
The simpler and more rugged the better, would prefer the driver to be a discrete component..

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Your application appears to be very simple. Perhaps I am missing something. At that frequency, you don't really need a "driver", you just need a voltage that switches quickly between 0V and >10V. The exact meaning of "quickly" matters. How big a load are you actually switching?

pyrillix

Joined Jan 31, 2014
It actually is fairly simple, the load is prob 50 amp max, resistive mostly. The existing circuitry is complex and has other features that are no longer needed, tore all that out.
Right now it literally is a mosfet and a proximity switch, but the voltage the mosfet is switching does vary from 0 to 30 volts.
I thought it might be best to use a driver to get a rapid rise and pull down time as I would like a square a wave as possible..

pyrillix

Joined Jan 31, 2014
Oh and I have 5 or 14 volts to drive the proximity switch which is rated at 6 to 30 volt device but seems to work fine on 5 volts at least at this slow cycling rate.

pyrillix

Joined Jan 31, 2014
Nothing critical, just like as fast a rise time as I can easily get at that slow a switching speed, It really isnt critical. I am a master electrician, can solder down to 1mm, but am an amateur electronics guy..

pyrillix

Joined Jan 31, 2014
the power supply to the prox switch is separate from the power supply to the mosfet but is connected on a ground bus

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Well, I'm wondering if you need a comparator to "square up" the input if it's not already a clean square wave. It sounds to me like the comparator output would be plenty fast for your application. If the input is already pretty good, it may be able to drive the MOSFET directly without the comparator.

Thing is, the gate of a MOSFET is essentially a capacitor. Your ability to turn it on and off quickly depends on how quickly you can charge and discharge that cap thru the gate pin. Switching speed is proportional to current. And the faster you go, the more important the inductances become. You can get ringing. Will you be able to put an oscilloscope on this thing?

Well, I'm wondering if you need a comparator to "square up" the input if it's not already a clean square wave. It sounds to me like the comparator output would be plenty fast for your application. If the input is already pretty good, it may be able to drive the MOSFET directly without the comparator.

Thing is, the gate of a MOSFET is essentially a capacitor. Your ability to turn it on and off quickly depends on how quickly you can charge and discharge that cap thru the gate pin. Switching speed is proportional to current. And the faster you go, the more important the inductances become. You can get ringing. Will you be able to put an oscilloscope on this thing?
+1 the output of even a cheap comparator will have no problem driving the capacitive load of a power mosfet gate, especially at the frequencies you're worried about.

What is currently being used to generate the control signal?

pyrillix

Joined Jan 31, 2014
Sorry about posting this twice but really need some help, if so inclined please check out this post..

Last edited by a moderator:

pyrillix

Joined Jan 31, 2014
p.s. I do have a massive heat sink, and kickback protection already in place from original design so nothing needed there.