Need idea to develope h2 gas sensor circuit

rdevendrakumar1989

Joined Aug 9, 2012
Hai Friends,

Am decided to develope H2 gas sensor. Give me an idea to develope the circuits.I found there are 2 detection methods are there.. 1. Calorimetric Detection - Gas concentration Vs. Temperatutre Rise
2. Conductivity Detection - Gas concentration Vs. Electrical conductivity Change.. Give me the idea

ikalogic

Joined Nov 26, 2004
Hai Friends,

Am decided to develope H2 gas sensor. Give me an idea to develope the circuits.I found there are 2 detection methods are there.. 1. Calorimetric Detection - Gas concentration Vs. Temperatutre Rise
2. Conductivity Detection - Gas concentration Vs. Electrical conductivity Change.. Give me the idea
I think the second option is the way to go. I never done this before, but seems to me like a simple job for an opamp/comparator....

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
This is not for the easily intimidated.

You need Electrical Conductivity.
Also you need two sensors in a bridge configuration and a temperature sensor.
The bridge output is non-linear and a function of temperature and every other gas. So you need to measure the other gases as well, especially CH4, CO2 and CO.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Neither of the proposed methods is specific to hydrogen and simply won't work.

You might be interested in reading this or this (see the section on detection).

rdevendrakumar1989

Joined Aug 9, 2012
Hai Friends,
We can sense H2 gas by two methods...
1. Calorimetric Detection - Gas concentration Vs. Temperature Rise ( Produced by the heat reaction on a catalytic)
Note : Its should be independent of coverage area for better response

2. Conductivity Detection - Gas concentration Vs. Change in electical conductivity ( Reaction of gas on the solid surface)

LEL of H2 is 4% .. so we cutoff the system before its reach that limit.. so 0- 80% LEL enough for us..

Step :
First purchase H2 sensor and make circuit for our own..

Help :

What are the h2 gas sensor suit for our requirement?
Give an idea to create circuit..

Thank You

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Figaro Engineering Inc is a good start. I was concerned about longevity as product required a heater; sample has been under test since 1972- guess it passes. Used TGS 109 for monitoring furnace room, check emissions of my old motor home, & as a fire detector, [it beat out a comercial smoke detector ]. Sensitivity of 109 about the same for H2 as propane.

cork_ie

Joined Oct 8, 2011
I would agree with Bernard - an existing sensor is the way to go. Figaro stuff is good and their H2 Sensor is likely a lot cheaper than anything you could possibly make. http://www.figarosensor.com/products/821pdf.pdf is specifically designed for H2 and has good sensitivity and ability to discriminate from other gases.
Price from RS http://radionics.rs-online.com/web/p/gas-detection/5390005/ in Europe is €68-00 for 1 and €61-00 for 15+ units , RS are not noted for being the lowest priced supplier of anything and there is a good chance you will find them cheaper elsewhere.
Of course that is only the bare sensor you will have to build a circuit around it to provide the heater supply and display/record the H2 value.

I am sure that if the 821 sensor suits your needs that some good people here will help you with the external electronics

Last edited:

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Are you looking for a sound- light alarm, relay closure, or meter reading, on given concentration? I used a PUT & SCR for a latching alarm, & comparator & relay for another. Used a time delay for heater warmup.