need help to build long range IR transmitter

aruna1

Joined Dec 20, 2008
hey guys I'm trying to build a 38khz transmitter that works about 5m(at least) but its unsuccessful.currently I'm using this circuit. but it cant use more than 50cm. i have no idea how to increase rage.

equation is f=1/(0.8*R1*C1)

I have some NE555 and a 9V battery some transistors and couple of 0.1uf,0.01uf caps.can some one give me a circuit with higher range (at least 5m).

and i want some thing that will not eat 9v battery.
thanks

jj_alukkas

Joined Jan 8, 2009
If you need to go lower, get a savaged TV remote, take its chip and make a tiny remote with it. Will need only 3v, also gives 10mtrs range and you can have as many buttons as you need. Overall size would be small too..

aruna1

Joined Dec 20, 2008
You might try these. Both are basically the same, just minor modifcations. Works at 38KHz and gives a maximum range of 10mtrs.

i tried 1st circuit with slghtly different values.and i also add a current limiting resistor of 15ohm in series with LEDs.but it seems its too small.i have to increase it i guess.here is the schematic

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
i tried 1st circuit with slghtly different values.and i also add a current limiting resistor of 15ohm in series with LEDs.but it seems its too small.i have to increase it i guess.here is the schematic
Your BC547 is upside down. Its emitter should be connected to 0V and its collector should be connected to the LEDs. Look at its datasheet: its max allowed collector current is only 100mA so a more powerful transistor should be used.

Look at the datasheet for the 9V battery. It cannot supply enough current so a supply bypass capacitor should be added.

The 555 must have a short duty cycle so the IR LEDs do not burn out and so the battery does not die so quickly.

Look at your other thread and look at the datasheet for the TSOP IR receiver IC. It needs the 38kHz pulses to be in bursts for its gain to remain high. Then you need a second 555 to turn the 38kHz oscillator on and off.