ZVS Induction Heater

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by RyanRDB, May 13, 2014.

1. RyanRDB

Thread Starter New Member

May 13, 2014
    Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum and am working on a small ZVS induction heater.

I think I pretty much got it down, but I've been searching the forum (& the rest of the internet) for days and can't find a concrete explanation on exactly how it's wired up.

This is what I figured out so far:

Positive current: Connects to the choke --> center tap of working coil & the resistors?
    Negative current: Connects to the mosfet’s source pins?

Diodes: Connect from the gate of mosfet (a) to the drain of mosfet (b) -- and vice versa.
    Resistors: Connect from the gate of each mosfet to the (+) current
    Mosfets:
    -- Gate: Only connected to the diodes and resistors
    -- Drain: Connects to the leg of the work coil & the diode
    -- Source: Connects to the (-) current?

[​IMG]

If anyone could give me some feedback, it'd be super helpful. I'm mostly confused about how to connect the mosfets' source pins, the resistors, and also how to connect the negative current cable. Thanks!

2. RyanRDB

May 13, 2014
    Oh yea, here's the schematic:
    [​IMG]

3. Sensacell

Jun 19, 2012
    R1 and R2 go to the wrong side of the choke, they must connect to the power supply

4. RyanRDB

May 13, 2014
    Thanks for the reply - I actually just fixed that right after I posted it. Do the other connections look alright to you though?

5. Sensacell

Jun 19, 2012
    Does it work now?

6. Experimentonomen

Feb 16, 2011
    Also use two inductors and get rid of the centertapped work coil.

7. Plasmahunt3r

Feb 6, 2014
  8. RyanRDB

May 13, 2014
    Thanks for replying guys.

No, still not working. The mosfets warm up to about 100-110 degrees but that's about all that happens.. The capacitors stay totally cool, and nothing I put in the coil warms up at all. What's a little interesting is the led on my PSU starts flashing on and off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5ZufBiTJpM&feature=youtu.be ... Not sure what's going on.

I was wondering if that would be better -- "ElectronicsNMore" was telling me that the center tap was needed "so the current is able to flow in two directions to create the alternating magnetic field." He made a couple really good videos on zvs induction heaters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVYMLnXW9uo

Lol, nothing special - just MS Paint.

Thanks for the link - most of the info is a bit over my head, as I'm still pretty new to electronics/circuitry.. I'll learn as much as I can from it though.

Anyone have any ideas of why it's not working? If it's because I'm not using enough power, does anyone have any ideas on how I could make it work with a 12v / 5a PSU?

Here's a couple pics of my setup:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks guys

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  9. jerluwoo

May 17, 2014
    Your wire appears to not be enamel coated. If thats the case then your inductor is acting as short and not an inductor at all.

10. Experimentonomen

Feb 16, 2011
    Look up marko bakula induction heater

11. RyanRDB

May 13, 2014