Zika

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
But I am in charge! Of what, is the question.
You're in charge of your personal response to the Zika virus, but I'm pretty sure we should leave the societal response to someone else. A Republican in state government with a background in Public Health and Epidemiology. Ohhh....wait, I wonder if there are any. Hmmmm....might have to rethink that one. Maybe not doing anything is the best we can hope for. Ohhhhhhh...Noooooo......Mr. Bill!

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I think you might be onto something there. Are any of your 32 states similar to Florida in that regard? That is to say run by oxymorons?
Our current President went to Oxy (aka Occidental College) for a year and apparently failed out. Does he qualify?

John

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I think you might be onto something there. Are any of your 32 states similar to Florida in that regard? That is to say run by oxymorons?
Oh man... don't even get me started... living in this place is both an enormous blessing and a source of frustration... but I guess no place on earth is free of demagogues and phonies. If I had my say, I'd very much rather live in New Zealand, with a tasmanian devil as a pet. I've heard it is one the most honest places on earth.

Anyway, I hope that this zika thing doesn't spread to catastrophic levels ... it looks like it has the potential to be the next AIDS

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Anyway, I hope that this zika thing doesn't spread to catastrophic levels ... it looks like it has the potential to be the next AIDS
That is unlikely. HIV is a member of the retrovirus group. Zika is a flavivirus related to dengue, yellow fever, and West Nile viruses. It is not a retrovirus. There are effective vaccines for such viruses and hurdles to making a vaccine for Zika will be much smaller than for HIV (for which we do not yet have a proven vaccine).

John

Edit: Clarified that Zika is not a retrovirus.

Last edited:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
That is unlikely. HIV is a member of the retrovirus group. Zika is a flavivirus related to dengue, yellow fever, and West Nile viruses. There are effective vaccines for such viruses and hurdles to making a vaccine for Zika will be much smaller than for HIV (for which we do not yet have a proven vaccine).

John
Good point, but what worries me is that it's also become a STD. Anyway, yes, even with my limited knowledge on the subject, it does seem that a zika vaccine would be far more feasible than for AIDS.

I have a 16 year old disabled daughter, who suffers from cerebral palsy partly due to her being a preemie. And even then, I cannot possibly imagine the horror and suffering experienced by the parents of a baby born with microcephaly because of a mosquito bite.

Last edited:

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
You're kidding, right? The rich in America are Democrats by a wide margin.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/04/why-democrats-are-becoming-the-party-of-the-1-percent
Agreed. But most of the votes for D's come from the poor. Which is why I like to look at it this way:

If D's get their votes from the poor, and R's get their votes from the "rich" (actually, middle class), which party is more likely to institute policies that keep people poor and make more people poor, and which is more likely to institute policies that raise more up to the middle ("rich") class?