Zika

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Well, Zika is now here in Florida, close to my neck of the woods:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/health-care/article93057392.html

It is only a matter of time before epidemic levels have been reached here in S. Florida, IMHO, followed by a spread to other states. It is transmitted via mosquitoes and sex (therefore, an STD), and is suspected in causing Microcephaly in infants born to infected mothers.

I have one word for the powers-that-be:

DichloroDiphenylTrichloroethane.

I care much more for the health of potentially 10's of thousands of humans than for a few thin egg shells. Time to use what works, dammit.

Edit: the pesticides they are currently using are not effective.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I heard on the news it went from 10 to 14. The reporter asked if it was growing exponentially. I gave that reporter too much credit in the past.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
DDT is effective until the mosquitoes develop a resistance to it, which they have in some parts of the world.
And, of course it's not the thin egg shells per se, that's the problem, it's that it kills off the birds that lay the eggs.
But what's a few less bird species more or less. :rolleyes:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I heard on the news it went from 10 to 14. The reporter asked if it was growing exponentially. I gave that reporter too much credit in the past.
Two points can establish an exponential curve. But you need to know the x values that go with the y. ;)

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
It's arguable that one of the greatest mass murderers in human history is Rachel Carlson, the author of Silent Spring in 1962. The hysterical backlash against DDT caused by that book caused a complete ban of DDT rather than a more sensible usage strategy. With proper management, we could have eagles and children, not just eagles.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Now, we have eagles and large wind turbines. Which will win?

BTW, reluctance to use DDT or bioremediation (from Japan) has resulted in the near total destruction of American ash trees.

John

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
We used to love to ride our bikes behind the DDT spraying truck as it drove slowly around the neighborhood. But my mom was a chemist and my dad a chemical engineer, so they always told us not to if they caught us doing it. I always resented not having Twinkies in my lunch like the other kids, too.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
We used to love to ride our bikes behind the DDT spraying truck as it drove slowly around the neighborhood. But my mom was a chemist and my dad a chemical engineer, so they always told us not to if they caught us doing it. I always resented not having Twinkies in my lunch like the other kids, too.
Me too. I still remember the smell; I liked it.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Well... at least they're calling it Zika, and not some region-labeled name.

I remember when the H1N1 flu was infamously called "Mexican Swine Flu" by the media ... the stupid thing didn't even start in Mexico in the first place!. Next thing I know, Mexicans were feeling an ugly backslash all over the world!

In fact, ground zero was California, if I remember correctly