Zigbee vs. Bluetooth

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by 1963, Jan 16, 2009.

1. 1963

Thread Starter Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Hi all,

For one of our project, we want to transmit data to a PC by using wireless technology. However, we don't know which one we should use, Zigbee or bluetooth. We don't need high data rate and it must be cheap. Thus, it seems that Zigbee has an advantage, but what can be the disadvantages of it and what are the positive sides of bluetooth?

Thank you.

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Google is a good way to find relevant material. Pay attention to range.

3. 1963

Thread Starter Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Yes, i know and i learnt a lot about this subject from google. but what I need is advice of people who used this protocols before.

4. 1963

Thread Starter Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I have another question. I couldn't figure out how I can set up the communication between a laptop and a mc by using zigbee, since laptop isn't compatible. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

5. John Luciani

Apr 3, 2007
    Zigbee is a protocol. What hardware are you planning on using? How many nodes?

Since you are new to Zigbee I would suggest getting a Zigbee device like the
    MaxStream XBee. To attach an XBee to a computer requires two wires Rx and Tx.
    You will need to level shift the Rx to Tx if you use an RS232 port. What most people
    do is to add a USB interface using an FTDI USB to RS232 serial chip (or cable).

I have designed some boards that integrate a USB + XBee and another board that
    integrates an uC + XBee (http://tinyurl.com/5rfmrz). Also I have a number of
    software examples in the "Application Hints" section.

(* jcl *)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  6. 1963

Thread Starter Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Our project is something like that: we are going to make some measurements and data obtained from this measurement will be sent to a mc and it will be sent to CC2430 (product of texas instruments), which we want to use for sending the data to a laptop by using Zigbee protocol. I am not sure that it means we have two nodes.

Here is the main problem. As I know, a laptop uses bluetooth and wifi. What should we do in order to connect CC2430 and the computer without using any wires?

7. nanovate

Distinguished Member

May 7, 2007
    And neither one of them is zigbee.
    You can buy TI's development kit if you want to use the CC2430 or you can buy John Luciani's system for a bit less

8. John Luciani

Apr 3, 2007
    If you are already using one CC2430 what makes the most sense would be to use
    a second one on the laptop. There is most likely an unused UART on the CC2430 that
    can be connected to the laptop. Since most laptops don't have RS-232 ports use an
    FTDI FT232RL between the CC2430 and the laptop. If you look at the datasheet
    for my ZB1 (http://tinyurl.com/5lnhtj) there is a schematic that shows how to
    wire the FTDI to a **3.3V** system (which I believe the CC2430 is). FTDI also
    makes a USB to serial cable that you could use (TTL-232RL-3.3V).

Since you will already have code for the radio you just need to program the second CC2430 to send and receive strings using the UART.

(* jcl *)