ZigBee - is it worth to learn about?

Discussion in 'Wireless & RF Design' started by atferrari, May 5, 2014.

1. atferrari

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    I run across several posts and articles about ZigBee in the last weeks, so I started to read about it.

Started to consider implementing a basic application to gain some familiarity.

I would like to hear any comments, even if brief about actual usage of ZigBee.

Simply put: is it worth?

2. panic mode

Oct 10, 2011
    only if you have something that can use it

3. sirch2

Jan 21, 2013
    I did a bit of background research on zigbee for a project I was planning a while ago (it's on the very back burner at the moment). The conclusion I came to was that zigbee modules in small quantities are expensive so it is only worthwhile if you really need mesh networking and secure comms. There are plenty of other low cost options if you want point-to-point and don't care about security.

atferrari likes this.
  4. enggricha

May 17, 2014
    I second sirch2 ... depends on the application. I use Zigbees for some of my industrial sensor network kind of requirements, but then those projects are well funded and very critical

5. Xitherius

Nov 22, 2013
    I would have to agree about the expense for just a few and there being less expensive options available if security is not critical.

6. atferrari

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Could you give an example?

7. sirch2

Jan 21, 2013
  8. ErnieHorning

Apr 17, 2014
    The DIY Christmas guys use these for one-way transmission. The pro version is used strictly as a transmitter (higher power) and the non-pro versions as relievers (they’re cheaper). Supposedly these can go for about a mile. They’ll do 57.6Kb without any buffering, 8-bit, no parity and 2 stop bits.

Some people have used these to successfully control the lights of houses on a street several blocks long.

There’s a project in the works to add buffering to allow the full 115Kb rate, because the maximum over the air rate is 60Kb. There may be a possibly to go up to 250Kb and allow some DMX light control.

[​IMG]

9. enggricha

May 17, 2014