Zero Hertz or Infinity

TheSpArK505

Joined Sep 25, 2013
Hi everyone
I wonder what is the frequency of a DC signal? Basically i know its zero Hertz DA!! But what about infinity frequency for DC o_O >>>
And how do Passive elements behave with the variation of frequency?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
How many cycles does a DC signal make per second?

The only way you could claim a non-zero frequency would be to claim a zero amplitude, in which case the distinction between AC and DC and what frequency it is at is intrinsically meaningless since the signal is identically zero.

As for how passive elements behave at different frequencies, first you start with the constitutive equations for the elements (i.e., the defining relationships between voltage and current for that component). For a resistor that's Ohm's Law, V=IR. What are the constitutive equations for an inductor and capacitor?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Good answer.

Like how can a cop give you a ticket for not stopping at a STOP sign? What is the definition of "coming to a complete stop"?

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
DC is 0Hz. You gotta measure the period!
Is this a reply to my 0K post? If so, you asked "what is the definition of coming to a complete stop."

Well, a complete stop implies zero kinetic energy. This occurs only at 0K (vacuum energy not considered here). Thus, my answer in non-time based units.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Sorry. No, I was replying to the DC problem.

As for "Complete Stop" we have a mountain here and I swear it moved since yesterday.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

Yes zero Hertz is considered DC, but infinite frequency is often considered to be zero time, or saying it differently, zero time is often considered infinite frequency.

So we have zero frequency is like DC, and zero time is like infinite frequency.
We also end up with infinite time is like zero frequency.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Hi,

Yes zero Hertz is considered DC, but infinite frequency is often considered to be zero time, or saying it differently, zero time is often considered infinite frequency.

So we have zero frequency is like DC, and zero time is like infinite frequency.
We also end up with infinite time is like zero frequency.
When you say zero time I'm assuming you are talking about the period.

Well, what's the period of something that never changes? Infinite.

Actually, in both cases it is undefined except in the limit.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
velocity = Δd/Δt
Hence zero velocity is in the limits Δd→0/Δt→∞

Similarly,

frequency = n/Δt
Hence DC is in the limits n→0/Δt→∞

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Thanks all for your answers . It seems that it needs a PROOF to find outo_O
To find out what? How passive components behave at different frequencies?

Try doing what I suggested and start from the constitutive equations. The "proof" is only a few lines long.

It might help if you told us what the homework problem is you are trying to solve.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

Maybe it would help if we looked at at filter circuit and it's response for AC and DC and at various times.