zero before decimal point

Miss Kelly

Joined Nov 9, 2013
In medicine, the standard is to use the zero before the decimal point. 0.5 mg of a medication is much different than 5 mg of a medication. Many other items have been standardized as well, to avoid confusion. I used to transcribe orders written by interns and residents. It was always a power trip to make them rewrite things legibly.

Miss Kelly

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I used to transcribe orders written by interns and residents. It was always a power trip to make them rewrite things legibly.
Seems more like a lost cause to me. :D

I check every prescription, every time, and can't remember leaving a doctors office without making them write down the rest of the required information. Doctors think in a certain way, and drugstores think in a different way. The doctor is thinking in practical terms and the drugstores are demanding the legal points be in order. Even if the doctors intent is legible, he often misses the legal points.

"30 a month? Then circle the number box on the right."
What's it for? You have to write, "for blood pressure" or, "for cholesterol" even if there is no other practical use for that drug.
"Your 3 looks like a 7. Do it over."
and, the ever present, "You forgot to sign this one". :D

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Seems more like a lost cause to me. :D

I check every prescription, every time, and can't remember leaving a doctors office without making them write down the rest of the required information. Doctors think in a certain way, and drugstores think in a different way. The doctor is thinking in practical terms and the drugstores are demanding the legal points be in order. Even if the doctors intent is legible, he often misses the legal points.

"30 a month? Then circle the number box on the right."
What's it for? You have to write, "for blood pressure" or, "for cholesterol" even if there is no other practical use for that drug.
"Your 3 looks like a 7. Do it over."
and, the ever present, "You forgot to sign this one". :D
Huh, I've never asked a doc to do anything to a prescription and I've never had one mis-filled or rejected. I always make note of what the doctor tells me the drug is and the dosage (independent of what they write on the prescription) and I always confirm that that is what the bottle says when I get it and then I always look at the label on the side of the bottle (which not all pharmacies provide) that tell me what the pill looks like and what markings it has on it and verify that.

Today, with electronic prescriptions, I seldom have a piece of paper to give to the pharmacy. Fortunately, this doesn't affect how I verify my prescriptions.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Well, lucky you. Apparently your doctor isn't as absent minded as mine is.
Perhaps. It might also be that the pharmacies I have gone to have been more proactive about contacting the physician if there are problems with the script and resolving them behind the scenes.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Likely true. The way it works here is that the doctor leaves out information, the pharmacy acts like it's my problem, and I waste the other half of the day straightening it out.

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
They could replace 90% of doctor visits with a vending machine and some simple icons... ;)

Totally agree with that, because most of my medications are month to month, year to year, etc.

Drop your cash into a vending machine, instead of the middle man.....

Most likely, it would be a LOT cheaper.

Probably not.:(:D

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Totally agree with that, because most of my medications are month to month, year to year, etc.

Yep. No need to be concerned about drug interactions.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012

There must be a lot of money for the middle man, otherwise there wouldn't be a RiteAid, Wallgreens, or other pharmacy on every intersection.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Hi,

can someone explain to me why the uk/us custom is to write numbers as .5 instead of 0.5?
I would think that the decimal point in such notation is quite easy to miss, so a quick glance could mistake if for a 5.
So is it beacause people were just lazy to add a redundant zero infront of the point, or is there some other thing that I am not aware of?
Saves printer ink by omitting all those pesky zeros!

I've recently made a habit of adding the zero...it really is helpful.

Eric