Zener diode as voltage regulator

Manoj Sahu

Joined Sep 29, 2014
In addition to Bertus' links, here is another.

http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/diode/diode_7.html
I've read the Article from Electronics-Tutorials. But a sentence from there is confusing me. First there written the voltage across R is always
the same as the zener voltage, ( Vz = Vr ). And at last The supply voltage Vs must be greater than Vz . So this means Vs is always greater than Vs due to initial voltage drop in Resistance. So is my speculation is correct that Vs is always greater than Vs due to initial voltage drop in Resistance.

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I've read the Article from Electronics-Tutorials. But a sentence from there is confusing me. First there written the voltage across R is always
the same as the zener voltage, ( Vz = Vr ). And at last The supply voltage Vs must be greater than Vz . So this means Vs is always greater than Vs due to initial voltage drop in Resistance. So is my speculation is correct that Vs is always greater than Vs due to initial voltage drop in Resistance.
V sub R is not the voltage across the resistor it is the Reverse Bias voltage ACROSS THE ZENER DIODE. V sub z has a fixed value for each diode. It will vary a little bit from diode to diode in a lot of "identical" diodes. V sub R in a given circuit will vary from zero to some negative value where the junction breakdown occurs. The purpose of the resistor in a zener diode regulator is to limit the current through the zener diode so that breakdown will NOT occur.

You are correct that V sub S will always be greater than V sub Z. This is true of all linear regulators. It is only untrue for some types of switching regulators.

Does that clear things up a bit?

Manoj Sahu

Joined Sep 29, 2014
V sub R is not the voltage across the resistor it is the Reverse Bias voltage ACROSS THE ZENER DIODE. V sub z has a fixed value for each diode. It will vary a little bit from diode to diode in a lot of "identical" diodes. V sub R in a given circuit will vary from zero to some negative value where the junction breakdown occurs. The purpose of the resistor in a zener diode regulator is to limit the current through the zener diode so that breakdown will NOT occur.

Does that clear things up a bit?
Yes it's clear now. Does temperature affect the working of Zener diode ? As lot of diodes are temperature dependance.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Zeners make pretty crappy regulators in general, not used much except where poor regulation and power waste can be traded for circuit simplicity.