Zapper101!

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
Hey Guys,

I'd like you to take a look at the following circuit. It is powered by 3V or 6V. With 3V on the input you get 80V out and with 6V you get 200V out. I know that the transistor (JE200, not 2N3502) produces the AC signal and amplifies the voltage, but what does the transformer do? I want to power it with a 9V battery and have an adjustable potentiometer from 200V to 0V. Can someone explain how I calculate the correct potentiometer value?

Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
I made a mistake, with a 3V input you get 80V out and with a 6V input you get 200V out. The actual circuit only consumes 70mA at 3V and 250mA at 6V. Now that I think about it, I'll bet the transistor produces the AC and the transformer amplifies the voltage...hope i'm right. I'm still not sure how to calculate the correct pot value...

Last edited:

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
Nevermind! I figured it out once more, apparently the minimum current a person can feel is 1mA. So I'm going to use a 500K pot - 200V/500,000 = 0.4mA. This should work fine. Below you'll find the changed circuit:

Attachments

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
How many little 9V batteries are you going to power it with? Its current will far exceed the small amount of current available from a 9V battery.

The transformer applies positive feedback so that the circuit oscillates and the transformer steps up the voltage.

Your pot has nothing to do with current through a person. If the value of the pot is too high then the circuit simply will not work.

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
How many little 9V batteries are you going to power it with? Its current will far exceed the small amount of current available from a 9V battery.

The transformer applies positive feedback so that the circuit oscillates and the transformer steps up the voltage.

Your pot has nothing to do with current through a person. If the value of the pot is too high then the circuit simply will not work.
Thanks Audioguru,

I suppose I'll have to install a DC-DC converter... What pot value would you suggest? Not sure how to do it since I dont know the current...

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
Hey Guys,

Do any of you know of a 3V input 6V 250mA ouput DC-DC converter? I also need to know how to calculate what pot I need on the output of this circuit.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
You do not need a DC to DC converter and you do not need a potentiometer. Make the circuit the way it was designed and limit its output current with a resistor from its output to the person.
Use a 6V battery.

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
You do not need a DC to DC converter and you do not need a potentiometer. Make the circuit the way it was designed and limit its output current with a resistor from its output to the person.
Use a 6V battery.
Well, I am going to put it in a compact case so i dont know... I would like the pot to adjust the shock level from 0V to max.