z transforms

silvrstring

Joined Mar 27, 2008
Hey-lo everybody,

I am having trouble finding information on solving difference equations with the "iteration method."

The Q: was solve the following difference equation

y(k+2) + y(k+1) + yk = 0 where y0 = 0, and y1 = 1

I got y0=0, y1=1, y2=-1, y3=0, y4=1, y5=-1, y6=0 ...
or {0,1,-1,0,1,-1,0,...}

I don't know what to do from here, and my text has nothing on the "Iteration method." I've searched the net, and the search results were either books I had to pay for, articles I had to pay for, or simply much more info than I need.

If anyone can tell me where I go from here, I would appreciate it. I'll be taking signal processing next semester, and I would like to get this stuff "down pat" before then.

Thanks,
silvrstring

P.S. Yes, this is homework. But I will be happy if you can just give an example. :)

Ratch

Joined Mar 20, 2007
silvrstring,

I don't know what to do from here, and my text has nothing on the "Iteration method."
You already did it. You must have gotten the sequence as far as you did by adding the last two numbers and subtracting from 0 to get the next number in the sequence. So you keep doing that until you get the next number, and the next number, and the next number, and the next number, ... . That is an iteration, get it?

The only thing left to do is to figure out a formula for the each number in the sequence. Like maybe y(k) = mod(k/3)-1 for k=1 to infinity. There may be other formulas you can dream up.

Ratch