Your favorite song?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I just got lost on you-tube for an hour.
Best comment: The '60's, when real life was the best entertainment.
Second best comment: It's a wonder we didn't all just listen to the music, dance, and make love. Oh wait....we did!

cork_ie

Joined Oct 8, 2011
Is this a sneaky way to find out what everyone's age is?
Funny how peoples musical tastes often tends to reflect their place on the generational ladder and anything else is noise.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
Funny how peoples musical tastes often tends to reflect their place on the generational ladder and anything else is noise.
I'm just going to have to disagree...

Smoke Baby, Hawksley Workman
Git Up Git Out, Outkast
Some of RHCPs
REM - Loosing my Religion, Everybody Hurts, Orange Crush
Clash - Guns of Brixton
Queen
Blues and Jazz (Miles Davis - Kind of Blue)
Reggae and Ska (many)
Ben Harper
Michael Bernard Fitzgerald (check out his cover of Hey Ya)
classical, probably this

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Is this a sneaky way to find out what everyone's age is?
For some, but theres a percentage that cross those boundries. For instance I like Grateful Dead, CCW, MMW, phish, snoop, dr dre, bach, elton john, newer country stuff, really everything as long as its not POP music.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
well your brain isn't 100% male brain if you liked that song ;).
Never said it was. Strangest music experience ever - screamo band as an opening act at a rock concert, that and having "Cage the elephant" open for "Black Keys"

I think my favorite song would have to be "Man who sold the World" by Bowie

and now I will ask you to provide an example of 100% male brain song :D

p.s. and there was always this
and "Silent City" by Kayhan Kalhor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99TQuaTbe9Q

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
and now I will ask you to provide an example of 100% male brain song :D
song in post #58 wasn't a good enough example?

Well, only because you asked, here it is; I don't think you could construe this as anything but a 100% male brain song.

P.S. it's the prequel to the song in post #58; you'll get it if you watch both.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011

Well, only because you asked, here it is; I don't think you could construe this as anything but a 100% male brain song.

Actually, I knew this was coming, remember watching it on much music sometime back. Cannot consider it music though :rolleyes:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Actually, I knew this was coming, remember watching it on much music sometime back. Cannot consider it music though :rolleyes:
damn. I hate it when that happens. I was going for shock but all I got was "rolleyes". oh well.

Yeah I don't know where music ends and parody begins. I consider music something that I would listen to repeatedly. This song, I listen to it once, laugh, and move on. Maybe I share it with someone else, but I would not burn it to a CD and put it on repeat in my car.

My requirements to consider something music:
must have real instruments.
Must have singing; that is, voice with changing pitch and melody. monotone rap is not singing. (or the lack of singing; instruments are good sometimes too)
There are more, but they're somewhat hard to put a finger on. Sometimes a song can meet my criteria but I still consider it garbage and not a song. There are a few that don't meet my criteria but I still consider a song.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
My requirements to consider something music:
must have real instruments.
Must have singing; that is, voice with changing pitch and melody. monotone rap is not singing. (or the lack of singing; instruments are good sometimes too)
There are more, but they're somewhat hard to put a finger on. Sometimes a song can meet my criteria but I still consider it garbage and not a song. There are a few that don't meet my criteria but I still consider a song.
Sorry to disappoint, better luck next time.

I agree on most of your requirements regarding music. I guess I have a question then, if you do not consider rap as music, do you not listen to it period? I personally like some rap/hip-hop (the line is blurry) for its poetic quality. To me, if it has a beat, its music.

There is a documentary called "Heart is a Drum Machine" exploring the question of what is music. I really like interviews on u-tube with John Frusciante (his thought process can br bit hard to follow though) that were done for the doc.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Sorry to disappoint, better luck next time.

I agree on most of your requirements regarding music. I guess I have a question then, if you do not consider rap as music, do you not listen to it period? I personally like some rap/hip-hop (the line is blurry) for its poetic quality. To me, if it has a beat, its music.

There is a documentary called "Heart is a Drum Machine" exploring the question of what is music. I really like interviews on u-tube with John Frusciante (his thought process can br bit hard to follow though) that were done for the doc.
No I listen to almost no rap at all. There are 2 handfuls of rap songs I will tolerate and one handful that I actually like.

I'll check out the documentary later, but it will probably go right over my head. I don't have a 'art brain'. My brain likes technical things and artsy things baffle me. I tried to learn a couple of instruments before but gave up when I realized that I don't even have the capacity to tap my foot to a beat. Watching me try to dance is comedic; mostly because if you see me dancing, it means I'm so drunk that I'm about to puke on somebody.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009

I'm not up with the new "music?" performers, so I thought the guy singing both of your linked songs was Justin Bieber. Couldn't imagine why mothers of kids the world over would let them buy these songs. My bad.

I'm more of a Blues man myself, and stuff like CCR, Allman Bros, that era of music.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
The SNL sketches can be kind of funny, whether it be rap or not: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAYL5H46QnQ

I despise rap, but some of it I can stand if there's a melody behind it. There's a guy on youtube who calls himself destorm (Yes, I did a double-take too :D) who has some fairly good stuff, and it all has some sort of theme behind it. But I just hate plain old rap. It disgusts me, and I have no idea how anyone can even call it music.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
"I like big butts". LOL! Always makes me smile, but is it music? I have some doubts.
"Don't Worry, be Happy"...100% vocals...no instruments...but it's still music. Too "pop" or "bubble gum" for some people, but I have a sweet tooth in music. Brainless happy is one of my categories. Somewhere deep inside must be a blonde gene.