Your Choice T.V.- A.A.C.-

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
What is the big factor that brings you to the off topic Forum.

Weather ,habit,information...looking to teach something...to

learn something,see what others are thinking..giving your

opinion. 1 -10 how would you rate your time spent on the Forum.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I come to AAC to see what's going on, what projects are being worked on, what people are up to. I never browse by forum, I browse by the "New Posts" button. If I see a title that interests me, I'll take a look and see if it's something I can respond to. I generally come on AAC 8-10 times a day, sometimes more, depending on how busy I am of course. Sometimes I don't make it at all.

I'd definitely rate it 10 (assuming 10 is the best). Time spent on AAC is never wasted. The people here are great, and they've become like another family to me.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Bored shoot the ****.... Talk non tech and tech stuff with like minded people. Typically the guys here are smarter then the average group of people I would normally be surrounded by. So sometimes I guess I think I come down here to hang out with smart people online and talk about BS.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
In Greece, there are shops called "coffee shops" (loosely translated) where people go before lunch or in the afternoon and drink coffee, chat, play backgammon or cards. Basically it's a place where all the sloths go to hang around but it's also a good place to hear gossip.

I guess the Offtopic is my coffee shop.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
In Greece, there are shops called "coffee shops" (loosely translated) where people go before lunch or in the afternoon and drink coffee, chat, play backgammon or cards. Basically it's a place where all the sloths go to hang around but it's also a good place to hear gossip.

I guess the Offtopic is my coffee shop.
That sounds nice. All we have is this starbucks thing that charges $7 for a cup of coffee ranked lower then 7-11.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
That sounds nice. All we have is this starbucks thing that charges $7 for a cup of coffee ranked lower then 7-11.
I've got lots of starbucks shops here in Boston. Absolutely hate their coffee--it always tastes burnt and very bitter. Luckily I also have lots of Dunkin Donuts shops around here. Their coffee isn't half bad ;)

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Greece has an exclusive coffee type, the frapee. I know it's a french name, but you won't find it anywhere else. Google it.
Everyone drinks it in the summer.

Starbucks doesn't sell it because it has a unified policy on its menu, stemming from the US. They instead serve Chocofreddo Caramel and Fredoccino with Strawberries, which are more fattening than a full meal.
Only stuck up kids and hipsters go there.

I 'm a sworn enemy of Starbucks.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Greece has an exclusive coffee type, the frapee. I know it's a french name, but you won't find it anywhere else. Google it.
Everyone drinks it in the summer.

Starbucks doesn't sell it because it has a unified policy on its menu, stemming from the US. They instead serve Chocofreddo Caramel and Fredoccino with Strawberries, which are more fattening than a full meal.
Only stuck up kids and hipsters go there.

I 'm a sworn enemy of Starbucks.
McD's has "frapee"s, last I checked. Not too bad, either.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
I too am a sworn enemy of Starbucks.

I think they have paid no tax into the UK system at all!

I don't mind Costa though. But tea rooms are the best. :)

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I've got lots of starbucks shops here in Boston. Absolutely hate their coffee--it always tastes burnt and very bitter. Luckily I also have lots of Dunkin Donuts shops around here. Their coffee isn't half bad ;)
It was ranked #1 of all store bought coffee's in the US last month. 5 spots ahead of starbucks. Actually DD is taking off. Opening 150 store this year after their downsize about 10 years ago. Their sandwiches and breakfast "Food" is supposed to be really good too.

Last edited:

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Riiiight, just like there are many types of Cappuccino. I 'd rather stay away from those hideous monstrosities. Coffee is meant to be bitter and taste like coffee. Not caramel, nor strawberry, nor chocolate.

If I want to eat the above I will buy them separately.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
With so many that do not like there coffee myself, included myself...why are they

doing so good. Time will tell as they filter thru more economies..like China.

What there stock.....today...last month...projected ..any u traders or with

knowledge on market.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
With so many that do not like there coffee myself, included myself...why are they

doing so good. Time will tell as they filter thru more economies..like China.

What there stock.....today...last month...projected ..any u traders or with

knowledge on market.
I always wondered the same thing. I never understood how Starbucks became so successful....

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Same way apple did, incredible marketing bouncing off the hip seattle scene from the 90's. APPL's marketing did the exact same thing. Their product placement and how much they paid the entertainment biz to use their products is amazing. Plus APPL got their following as the hip out of the box person not like the rest, which worked too well to the point their being to be thought of as an IBM or Microsoft.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
Forbes did a piece on how - elevator music and no surprises. Catering to american consumer. I do not drink coffee, if I wanted a cup, I guess I would have to go to Greece or Turkey...

p.s. I am on AAC because I haven't found a real life place where I can just talk to people, never thought I would actually be posting anything on-line, I quite dislike internet, change is good, I guess.

It is a bit sad that I am forgetting all the basics now that I am trying to learn about my new job, once settled, I will try to get back to some projects. I want to built my own EEG amp box and try to make my own dry electrodes - this was a scrapped school project - but not for a while.

Last edited:

count_volta

Joined Feb 4, 2009
I come to off topic because this website has some wise old guys who know about life and its interesting to hear their perspective on things other than electronics.

Also it makes me feel like I belong. Electrical Engineers and people who are into electronics and electricity stuff are a special class of their own. We understand each other very well, but few outsiders understand us. :D

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
When I was in Italy, my demitasse of expresso had a shot of Sambuca in it.

In small towns, people congregated at the local diner, for coffee breaks, meeting politicians and such.