You have to produce a 6-input NAND Logic Gate. But You only have 2-input NAND Gates?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by brightjoey, Nov 24, 2009.

1. brightjoey

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 12, 2009
    This is a weird question from my test today. Most of my friends couldn't figure it out either.

You have to produce a 6-input NAND Logic Gate Circuit. But you only have an unlimited number of 2-input NAND Logic Gate. Draw out the circuit design for the 6-input NAND Logic Gate.

2. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    You cascade the two input gates in such a way that the output is what you want it to be. A NAND gate with both inputs connected to the same source forms an inverter, aka a NOT gate.

3. brightjoey

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Oh before we go any futher is this the expected output for a 6-input NAND Gate?

F=\overline{ABCDEF}

where A= input 1
    B= input 2
    C= input 3
    and so on..

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  4. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Yes it is. You can also use DeMorgans Law and create an equivalent expression using NOT and OR functions

5. dsp_redux

Apr 11, 2009
    I know it's been about one month this has been posted, but since the solution has not been mentionned and the test is probably over (and the fact that I like doing this), here is the solution.
    \begin{align}<br />
F&=\overline{ABCDEF}\\<br />
&= \overline{A} + \overline{B} + \overline{C} + \overline{D} + \overline{E} + \overline{F}\\<br />
&= \overline{AB} + \overline{CD} + \overline{EF}\\<br />
&= (\overline{AB} + \overline{CD}) + \overline{EF}\end{align}<br />
    We also know that X+Y = \overline{\overline{XX}\overline{YY}}. So you'll have:
    <br />
\begin{align}<br />
\overline{AB} &= Q_1\\<br />
\overline{CD} &= Q_2\\<br />
\overline{EF} &= Q_3\\<br />
\overline{Q_1Q_1} &= N_1\\<br />
\overline{Q_2Q_2} &= N_2\\<br />
\overline{N_1N_2} &= K_1\\<br />
\overline{K_1K_1} &= K_2\\<br />
\overline{Q_3Q_3} &= K_3\\<br />
\overline{K_2K_3} &= F\end{align}