Yanmar Diesel Engine

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
First off..... Me took a shower and went haywire with the lint roller :D. Wify was like :eek:....If it works who am I to argue..eh!
Man it feels good now.

OK ! At 600 Hrs I went to install the panel and I got more than I ever bargained for, again.

The harness had no Ground wire. I checked and checked but nope..no ground what so ever...:eek:...that's funny ! How did the engine start at first. ? :confused:

The Alternator light does not turn on, checked and guess what. the wire was simply twisted around the lug. That's the best any body can do these days. But alternator is fried...I checked the battery voltage after starting....No increase in but it stays below 24V...when engine is running.

Everything else works like a charm.....I was at it for like 5 Hrs straight.

The Tacho is not there. The previous one is a sender for the Gear oil pressure.

The Alarm works as intended. The Senders and switches works just fine.

Oh yeah ! one more thing..It did not start at first.....the nut on the starting solenoid wire was missing. :confused:...

I wonder if these things are done deliberately...

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
If the Alt lamp is blown then the altenator will not charge. To check, with the engine not running but Ign on, if the lamp doesnt light short L to Gnd & the lamp should light. If it does then the circuit & lamp is Good.

Attachments

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
A bit on 2 different ways an altenators regulators & how they are conected, externaly or internaly & these Regs are 12V. Inside there is 6 main diodes for the charging circuit. There are 3 smaller diodes, these are Field feed diodes. The Charge lamp feeds a small amount of current to the Reg/Rotor to initialy excite it & the lamp will be on. When the engine is started & the altenator starts charging, the field feed diodes take over suplying the Reg & Rotor. The Voltage is then the same as whats at the Ign switch & the lamp then goes out. The 2 different circuits are just the way the Rotor is wired. The Bosch one one side of the Rotor goes to Gnd. The other one the Rotor is conected to the power side. Hope this is some help on what to look for.

Attachments

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
If your gona play with the alternator, you may want to run a wire from one of the stator windings before a diode to the outside of the altenator. This will give you an AC voltage with varying frequency. Ive done this mod before to run a VDO tacho on a tractor. This just might run the Tacho.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I've got a dumb question, since alternators are "usually" overdriven (at a higher than crankshaft speed) how is the alternator used as a tach signal?

hwy101

Joined May 23, 2009
I've got a dumb question, since alternators are "usually" overdriven (at a higher than crankshaft speed) how is the alternator used as a tach signal?
A simple solution is to acquire a reading from the engine flywheel with a handheld optical tachometer and then adjust the gauge accordingly.
this method is not totally accurate but very close.

REHTNAP

Joined Feb 24, 2012
rough guide to rpm from alternator.there is usually a terminal on the back of the alternator that is a tapping from one of the stator windings. this gives a varing frequency voltage acording to rpm. the rpm guage is then just a frequency counter calibrated to reflect the engine rpm. seen loads where the wrong pully is fitted and the rpm reads way out. this tapping is also used to signal some run relays that the engine is rotating and allow protection systems to work. not all alternators have the external connection though.
on a lot of rpm guages there is a little screw to adjust the rpm reading. you can actually do the maths of the frequency of alternator verses rpm along with pully sizes and just measure the tapping output with a multimeter on frequency then calibrate the rpm guage. on the other hand i use a hand held optical rpm guage triggering it on a fly wheel or front pully lot easier.

REHTNAP

Joined Feb 24, 2012
if tapped from the star join then the freq is 3 times the rotation speed multiplied by half the number of poles on the field coild (rotating part.) if taped of one phase wire then just the rotation speed multiplied by half the number of poles.
Assuming a standard V belt drive, you can't just measure the outside diameters of the pulleys. What is required is the diameters (or radii) to the neutral axis of the belt, which will presumably be closer to the top than the bottom, especially if it is notched.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
The 4CH E3 is a later model turbo charged. Uses a totaly different Tacho & its sender is a Magnetic sensor that is fitted to the bell housing & counts ring gear teeth.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
@ REHTNAP.. I had that, it was my guide to figure the harness u know.

Alternator will be here to day. I am not going to get it out...too much work for a big guy u know.