Yamaha Yzf R125 Speedometer Led Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remas

Joined May 20, 2014
Hello there everyone.

I got my R125 about a month ago and I decided I'd like to modify the backlight of the speedometer after I saw one modified in a video right here (0:18 - 0:21).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPDX0Rde7JE

I bought SMD 3528 Blue LEDs off ebay and I swapped the original ones with the lovely blue LEDs.

I noticed something very weird happening and this is the reason for me creating this thread. I swapped all LEDs related to the backlight of the screen and tachometer. It turned out that all of them were glowing but very dimly. I decided to start again and swap one LED at a time. I numbered the LEDs on the picture right here

When I replaced LED 1, everything was great. It was very bright and everything seemed to be okay. Then as I was very impatient I swapped LED 2,3 and 4. Here is the result

As you can see LED 1 and 4 are very dim. LED 2 and 3 are good. LED 5 and 6 are okay (they haven't been swapped) but as you can see on the picture they are dimmer than LED 7 and 8.

I decided to take the voltage readings and here they are:
LED 1 = 2.46 V
LED 2 = 2.90 V
LED 3 = 2.90 V
LED 5 = 1.78 V
LED 8 = 1.87 V

My question is what can I do to make all LEDs glow bright? Is the resistors beside LED 1, 4, 5 and 6 that need to be replaced/removed? (There are no resistors at LED 2 and 3 and the voltage is high and consistant) Maybe it's something else?

I tried to contact the guy that made the video but i had no response, that's why I'm posting here.

(I know the soldering isn't perfect and that i didn't clean the flux off.)

Thank you for checking this thread out.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
... 6, 5 , 4, 3, 2, 1... gone.

Sorry, you just hit a sensitive nerve here on AAC.

Discussion of automotive modifications (and that includes motor cycles) is strictly prohibited on AAC. Please read the Terms of Service found on the bottom of each page.

In particular:

6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered "off-topic" at all times and will result in your thread being closed without question:
  • Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies

For this reason, your thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.