XLR amplifier

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Shagas, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Shagas

Thread Starter Active Member

May 13, 2013
    Hello again,

So I want to harness audio from balanced audio outputs (XLR) and amplify it to 0-5 volts.

First of all lets take a look at how balanced cables work:

From what I read a few months ago , the way balanced cables noise-resistant is that they send the signal , along with a mirror of the signal (flipped on the x axis) which is sent out on the cable and on the reciever side sits a differential OP amp configuration which basically amplifies the diffrence in the signals therefore getting a gain of 2 and rejects the common mode noise on the wires is that correct?

So if I built something like this : http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/opamp/opamp_5.html ( first picture)

And fed the hot and cold to both inputs then I can expect a nice clean signal on the output right?

Question 2: How would I controll the reference voltage of the op amp input?
    Normally when I only have one input , I bias the non-inverting input between two 10k resistors and then I know that my ouput will be in the middle of the supply voltage , but what about in this case?

Thanks in advance for your input

2. Shagas

May 13, 2013
    What If I biased the ground of the XLR in between two 10k resistors, that would work wouldn't it?
    Also , since we are expecting to get low noise then we could use a jfet op amp or should I go for a BJT op amp
    Another edit: The audio doesn't have to be very precise as I'm going to be feeding it to a Vu meter (avr adc)
    The reason I'm here and not fiddling with my breadboard already is because My only source of balanced audio is my sound card and I don't want to do something stupid.

3. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    The simplest way goes like this: Get a double rail to rail opamp, use one half in buffer configuration to get 1/2 of the reference voltage for the ADC. Use second half for the amp itself, connect the xlr signals through capacitors to V1 and V2, connect the bottom end of R4 to the output of the reference buffer.
    Coupling caps should be high enough so that you do get the bass response you require, also don´t forget bypass cap on the power supply pins.

I don´t think you need to care about the noise very much, as the 10 or 12 bit ADC in the avr will most likely be the limit anyway.

4. Shagas

May 13, 2013
    I see... but when you say "use the one half in buffer configuration do you mean biasing the non inverting between 2 equal resistors connected to vcc and gnd to get 1/2 vcc?

What would happen if I did what I mentioned above ? Connecting the ground terminal of the XLR inbetween two 10k resistors connected to vcc and gnd?

5. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    If you don´t use a buffer, then the parallel combination of the two 10K resistors will add to R4, thus changing its gain, thus allowing the noise to be not ballanced out and adding it to the output.
    So maybe if you change R4 to 5K it could be ok.

6. Shagas

May 13, 2013
    So if I do it the way you say , just to make it clear I connect the non inverting rail betwen two equal value resistors to give me 2.5 volts on the output and then i connect R4 to the output of the buffer right?

7. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    yes that´s right

8. Shagas

May 13, 2013
    Ok nice thanks , I'll try that out then.

9. Sensacell

Jun 19, 2012
    How about just using some audio transformers?

You can convert balanced to unbalanced and change voltage levels- easy.

10. Shagas

May 13, 2013
    I have never done it like that , how many transformers would I need for both left and right audio signal?

11. Sensacell

Jun 19, 2012
    Theoretically, just one per signal.

Stereo=2

12. tubeguy

Nov 3, 2012
  13. Shagas

May 13, 2013
    those look to be pretty expensive :)

14. Sensacell

Jun 19, 2012
    Or get cheap ones from digikey?

15. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    Personally I wouldn´t use them, as the frequency response is quite bad, especially in the low frequency range.