XC8 compiling and setting problems

Discussion in 'Programmer's Corner' started by raychar, Feb 13, 2013.

1. raychar

Thread Starter Member

Nov 8, 2011
    Hello,

I installed xc8 and MPLAB v8.10 in E: driver of my computer, i included the following lines in my code, however, it don't work when build, with error:
    License type: Node Configuration
    (902) no chip name specified; use "PICC18 --CHIPINFO" to see available chip names

#include <pic18.h>
    #include <xc.h>
    #include <pic18f452.h>
    xc8 --chip=18F452 main.c

Can anyone help me to tell what mistake i committed?

Thanks,

2. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Then working with MPLAB(X). It is VERY essential to create a project before starting programming. And if you do not do this. I will come and smack your fingers:p.
    If you have created a project properly. The compiler will know which PIC you are using and hence you will only need to include the XC file

3. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    I still have the old installation CD from my PICKIT2.

Used it once on a laptop later on- with my selfmade RS232 programmer. Just had to reflash a PCB with some minimal change in place.

4. raychar

Thread Starter Member

Nov 8, 2011
    Hello,

Thanks, I suceed in doing so after installing MPLABX. It is a whole different environment, i need to learn more before using it..

>BTW, my ICD2 will no longer work with it. Which one I should buy; PICKit3 or ICD3?

>Does bootloader type MCU suit for my application? I want the code file can be programmed on MCU by my customers when they bought my devices. (that is, i only send code file and MPLABx software, without having ICD nor programmer, can they do that in bootloader type MCU?)

>Do both type of mentioned ICDs suit for this type MCUs debugging?

Thanks in advance,