X

John29

Joined Oct 13, 2016
Hi
I have an rfid reader (http://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data Sheets/ThingMagic PDF's/MERCURYDevKit.pdf) with these specifications(as seen in datasheet): • In: 90-264 V, 0.4 A, 47-63 Hz • Out: +9 V @ 1.4 A • Max total output power: 12.6 W I would like to create an external battery module instead of connecting the reader to a wall. I would like to have some precisons on how to do it, which battery to choose and how long would the battery last ( I would like it's the run-time to be at least 12h)?
Thank you very much

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
1.4A for 12 hours is 16.8Ah @9V. That's a pretty big battery. The standard 18650 lithium cells are 2.6 Ah @3.7V so you would need around 16 of them for your purpose (assuming no losses along the way).

John29

Joined Oct 13, 2016
1.4A for 12 hours is 16.8Ah @9V. That's a pretty big battery. The standard 18650 lithium cells are 2.6 Ah @3.7V so you would need around 16 of them for your purpose (assuming no losses along the way).

HOw to you know that 1.4A for 12 hours is 16.8Ah @9V ? Why would I need 16 batteries like that?

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Your first step is to measure how much current the reader takes when in use, that will dictate which battery to use, chances are it probably takes 500mA to 1amp, so your looking at a 9V sla or lithium battery.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
HOw to you know that 1.4A for 12 hours is 16.8Ah @9V ? Why would I need 16 batteries like that?
The required battery capacity equals the current times the time or 1.4A*12h = 16.8Ah.
Then you divide this value by the battery capacity to determine how many batteries you need.

But as Dd noted, you need to measure the actual current used, since it is likely significantly less than the rating of the power supply.

John29

Joined Oct 13, 2016
Your first step is to measure how much current the reader takes when in use, that will dictate which battery to use, chances are it probably takes 500mA to 1amp, so your looking at a 9V sla or lithium battery.
How many 9v sla batteries would I need for my objective? If I use lithium battery, do I need to create some 9v feeding voltage with them? I am asking that because I am afraid that my rfid reader will burn if he has 9V in it's input and the batteries give 30 V output for exemple.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The batteries would be put in parallel and/or series to get the required 9V.
But to determine how large a battery you need you first need to measure the current drawn by the RFD reader.
Do you know how to do that?

John29

Joined Oct 13, 2016
The batteries would be put in parallel and/or series to get the required 9V.
But to determine how large a battery you need you first need to measure the current drawn by the RFD reader.
Do you know how to do that?
I can do it with an ampere-meter. I connect the black cable to the ground and the red to the rfid reader output (in the antenna connection), right? And after for exemple if I have the value of 500 mA, I should use that value instead of 1.4 A for the calculation 1.4A*12h = 16.8Ah., right?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
yes, i would operate the rfid with a valid keyfob to see if the current increases, and use that value.
Since the operation of the keyfob would typically be a very low duty-cycle, I don't think that needs to be included in the battery capacity calculations.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I can do it with an ampere-meter. I connect the black cable to the ground and the red to the rfid reader output (in the antenna connection), right? ..........
Wrong.
You break the connection between the power supply output and the RFID reader power input, and connect the ammeter in series from the power supply output (red meter lead) to the RFID power input (black meter lead).

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Since the operation of the keyfob would typically be a very low duty-cycle, I don't think that needs to be included in the battery capacity calculations.
The rfid reader will activate a relay upon a valid keyfob to open the door, which will increase the current...

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The rfid reader will activate a relay upon a valid keyfob to open the door, which will increase the current...
I understand that.
But I think the duty-cycle for that will be low enough that it won't have a significant effect on battery life, which is the subject of this thread.