WTB Phosphor

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by Sparky49, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sparky49

Thread Starter Active Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Hi everyone,

I'd be really suprised if anyone has any phosphor to sell, but does anyone know where I can buy some?

I'm designing and building a CRT, so need some phosphor to line the end of the screen with.

However, when I google searches like "hobby chemicals", I come across some very bad websites!

Sparky

2. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    There are many many different kinds.

Some are simple compounds, others are toxic with heavy metal elements.

Choose which compound you need and then search for the chemical itself to find a supplier. You will also need to research the types of binders and surfacants used to reduce tribo-electric effects and keep the coating in place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphor#Cathode_ray_tubes
    has a very good list of the different compounds and what type of display they are used in.

Sparky49 likes this.
  3. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    Thanks, I copied down the chemicals and asked one of the chemistry teachers at school.

He pointed me towards Sigma-Aldrich, but said I should not use a few of those chemicals!:eek:

4. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Sparky, I admire your inventiveness and desire to experiment.
    However, building my own CRT is not something I would dream of doing or even contemplate wanting to do. I am sure there are many other ways to keep busy.

Sparky49 likes this.
  5. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    :(

I still think I'll give it a shot. I can use the school's vacuum pumps, so now's the time to do it if I don't want to spend a bunch on a pump.

Although, I've got the designs of a mp3 player starting to come together!

6. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  7. constant collisions

Nov 15, 2012
    You sound fairly young. CRT's are pretty complex and have to be extremely clean when being manufactured.

As well as the high voltage required.

You could make a simple neon lamp with a Neon sign transformer and some helium in a jar.

Certainly the cheapest way.

8. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Well someone must maintain a grip on all that vacuum technology.

As for myself, at some point I simply disposed my small monochrome television, even if at some earlier point of time, I had ideas to build a graphics display system.

I figured out LCD is cheaper, smaller, colorful, and I can easily build more than one such circuit.

It is of course an interesting project just for the sake of doing it. Sooner or later most people specialize on some technology.

9. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    Yep, I think the important question is not why?, but why not?

I might be young, but I'm sensible and safe. I understand electricity. So long as one is sensible, there is nothing to fear. :)

Sparky

10. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    That's what Madame Currie said and we all know what happened to her. :)

11. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    To be honest, if I find out as much info as Currie, I'd probably be quite content with my life. :D

12. John1

Jul 22, 2011
    Hi,
    If i were doing this, i would probably try the white powder from broken strip lights.
    Be careful though, i am told its poisonous.
    John :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.