WTB fluke meter

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by strantor, Jun 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strantor

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    I have had it with cheap meters. i want a fluke. dont have a huge budget.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    You'll never regret it.

My Fluke has bounced around in the truck and doubled as a bench meter for 33 years and has never needed to be repaired. I used to carry a Simpson 260 as a backup, but it slowly crumbled. The Fluke doesn't even have dirty switch contacts!

3. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    oh I know too well the quality of fluke; I have punished them hard and they take it like a lumberjack. I use them at work, but work has more money to spend on a meter than I do. Even used, they evade my price range. I monitor ebay so I'm sure I'll find one sooner or later. The ones with incorrect readings or sold as parts go for cheap, like this one:

Have you ever calibrated a fluke? Assuming the seller is full of hot hair about fluke calibrating for free, how hard do you think it would be to correct a problem as described above?

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Wouldn't touch the insides. I'd pay Fluke to do it.
    The best part is that I've never had to do that!

My Fluke is still measuring 1% resistors correctly for sorting, and matching the power company meters after 33 years.

Yes, the price was horrible. $300 back then was a house payment! Now, the house is paid off, the Fluke still hasn't needed a repair, and you can buy a new one for way less than a house payment today. Bend over and take it like a man. It only hurts once.

5. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    OK FINE! But I'm not going to like I tell you; not one bit!

Why can't the law of supply and demand just make a friggin exception for me? I'm special!

#12 likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I've decided to give website "thanks" for anything that makes me LOL.

7. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    If you're going to buy one get the plus features, things like freq counters and capacitance meters.

8. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    no longer looking for a fluke. got my meter, see here

thanks

9. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    There's a wish in Greek when you make significant purchases, like a car, a house or anything that will sting your budget anyway. Sadly it doesn't translate in English.

In any case, I hope your new meter serves you well.

strantor likes this.
  10. electronis whiz

Jul 29, 2010
    Right now I’m using an $8 regal DMM from ACE. After I got sick of my junk clamp/DMM meter from a tool sale. The biggest annoyance with the tool sale one is that it would only register whole volts, the clamp part didn’t work, max resistance measured was like 20K ohm. The biggest thing I miss though is a continuity beeper. (I should be able so stick a mini buzzer in the regal though.) I like to see the decimals that the old one or an analog meter would never show. And the regal can test diodes, transistors and ohms up to 2M ohms, + it has 200&200 MV DC ranges. I have some old analog Simpson meters they all are calibrated to 0 but something that should output 2 amp maxes out the 1.5A needs to be connected to the 5A terminal and not the 2A terminal. Voltmeters also kind of like that. I also have a Mura analog multi meter that don’t seem all that accurate. I have a fold micronta also however I don't use it much because it's hard to read and I’m not sure of its accuracy. And it has some wired output jack for something. I may just pitch all the Simpsons. The amp meter is can handle 25A my DMM can only do 10. I believe part of the reason the Simpsons are junky is they were used in a college chem. Lab. Then sat in a store room for 5-10 possibly more years.
    I rarely use the Simpsons I have just held onto them for electronics antiquity. Or if I need to test something with potential for more than 10A output.

I have never acutely used a fluke for made for electronics but from what I have heared I’d get one. I have a raytek (a fluke branch) IR thermometer though I have dropped it quite a few times and it still works perfectly. I have used a sperry DMM that looks just as good as a fluke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.