WTB broken/inoperable Dewalt 20V

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by strantor, Feb 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strantor

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    I need a dewalt 20v tool or charger (preferably a charger). I'm going to strip the guts out of it and repurpose it, so I don't care if it works or not. Looking to pay no more than:
    $20 for something in perfect/brand new physical condition but not working.
    $15 for something in decent/reasonably used physical condition but not working
    $10 for something in dirty, nasty, cracked physical condition with paint overspray but not working

Plastic broken badly, not interested.

2. Farfugnugin

Feb 18, 2014
    This may not be helpful, but i figured i'd offer it up anyway just in case..

I'm assuming you need the stuff for the purpose of a battery mount on a project? I don't have any 20v dewault stuff, but I have stacks of 18v dewault power tools that have been mostly gutted, motor and gearboxes yanked out and repurposed. The cases and battery tabs/trigger assemblies, etc are still fully in tact and could probably be used if I have guessed your intentions correctly.

Granted, the 18v pod packs are quite as volumetrically conservative as the 20v sliders, but i just figured i'd throw it out there as an option. I'd be happy to send you a couple for just the cost of shipping. I could probably toss in a couple bad batteries free also so you can gut the case and fill with your own cells, and maybe a fully functional 18v charger as well for a couple bucks.

p.s. yes, I am a bit of a pack-rat. Dewault motors are BA for all sorts of purposes, and we go through tons at work that usually just need new brushes or have a failed clutch or chuck that needs bypassing/removal. Oh, and email or PM if interested, I doubt ill check back regularly.

3. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    Thanks for the offer, but I was looking for the 20V models specifically, because I have a 20V charger. I have 11 bad 18V XRP packs already that I haven't done anything with yet ;) (thread).

But, I might as well call this thread finished for now. I don't think I need the 20V device after all. I think I can use what I have. We will see. I may come back and renege this post.

4. Dr.killjoy

Apr 28, 2013
    What about converting the batteries to Lipo from hobbyking ??
    I was thinking about doing this to my 1/2" impact gun...

5. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    The idea is to make a portable 0-25V 0-2A handheld cordless power supply, using an already commercially available (and already in my arsenal) standardized battery and charging system. See thread (post #9). Hacking batteries and installing hobby king LiPo, and the requisite upgrade to hobby king balancing LiPo charger is a step in the wrong direction IMO. I have parts on order; I believe I can install these parts into my functional DeWalt 20V battery charger without effecting the existing circuitry. It should still be able to charge batteries, and also should be able to function as a power supply with or without being plugged in. If for some reason I'm wrong and this can't work, then I will once again be looking for a defunct DeWalt 20V charger to remove the guts and proceed with a single-purpose design.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.