wrt54g v5.1 shorted

freakazoid

Joined Jul 2, 2011
hello i am quite new at this forums hence don't know whether i am posting in the right place anyway here goes

i accidentally shorted the power pins of the power connector on the pcb while trying to install a 12 v dc fan i tried to do all of this while the power was on so i ended up short circuiting the board .....
after this the leds of the router don't light up and the brodcom processor chip gets insanely hot

so my question is how can i figure out which component got shorted during the short circuit

these are all the ic with markings on the board

AP 1513
0602DA
8-PIN IC
next to the power connector i suspect it is a DC-DC converter

EVC14AAS360
URG05
23D
7-PIN IC
Don't know what this is..

AP1635
0547C
8-PIN
another dc-dc converter i think this one is next to the leds

the other ic are the ram,flash and the processor

my knowledge in circuitry is very limited so any help is most welcome my initial thought was that the dc-dc converter got shorted as none of the lights light up and the processor get very hot but as said earlier i don't know for sure and would like professional help before i go off changing components

thanks in advance
:p

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You've asked in a place that has lots of people with knowledge of circuits. They aren't answering because people with lots of knowledge don't even try to fix a $30 box that operates in the gigahertz range.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I'm sorry, but my Ouija board seems to be on the fritz at the moment.

Seriously though, I don't have one of those routers anymore; I threw mine in the trash mid-March because I thought I wouldn't need it again. I have no schematics. I don't know where you shorted yours out. While the part numbers allowed me to find two out of three of the datasheets, I don't get the idea that you are capable of providing such details as what voltages you are reading at the inputs and the outputs of the IC's.

Since they are undoubtedly surface mount devices, it is furthermore unlikely that you will be able to unsolder and remove them without destroying the board, and then soldering in replacement parts without destroying the new part, making poor solder joints, nicking traces, leaving solder balls, etc.

Your best bet is to buy a replacement router. You can sometimes find such things at surplus places or at college bookstores if they sell "recycled" computer stuff.

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
Buying s replacement router is highly reccomended as Sgt. Wookie has so eloquently ellaborated upon. I just sold that same router on Amazon for $20, so I'm sure you can find one for a similar price. It really isn't worth the time, money, and agrivation troubleshooting and repairing it.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
If you shorted something out on the board, you may well have toasted the Broadcom IC itself. That's next to impossible to replace.

Why did you have the router powered on while you were modifying it?

freakazoid

Joined Jul 2, 2011
guys i already bought another n series router all i wanted to know was whether it was possible to fix cause. if it was just a small component problem and well i guess i dont like stuff lying around useless .. well i am still gonna play with the router yes i cant solder very good so i will practice on this if i succeed i will post back on this forum with details just taking it as a project as my summer holidays just started

and the thing with modding it with the power on well what can i say i was lazy and an idiot too

bobcart

Joined Jul 7, 2011
look at the board carefully to see if you find anything burnt. sometimes you can see burn spots. start at power input. use your dmm to test components as you go. try to follow the leads. hold the board up to a light and look through it so you can see components on top and traces on back. you probably don't want to get it hot while doing this.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
If the Broadcom IC is getting extremely hot then it is probably broken.

You can probably buy a new one, but have you ever tried to remove a BGA? Next to impossible without the right tools.

Also, you do not know if there is extra firmware on that IC that you cannot replace.