Wow! I've done reflow but LTC4425 is insanely small!!

pityocamptes

Joined Jul 25, 2012
Ok, anyone have suggestions on reflowing a chip the size of a the letter "E" on the esc button on a keyboard??? Same process, something different? I usually use a heat gun... I'm going to have to get a magnifying glass or something!!!

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
The reflow temp profile is commonly on the datasheet..
Many have a "modified" toaster with an after market controller to create the necessary temp heating/cooling profile.
There are plenty of DIY black&decker infrawave reflow tutorials out there.. Heck I've seen hotplates and even a frying pan to do reflow before.

help_mum

Joined Sep 13, 2012
Ok, anyone have suggestions on reflowing a chip the size of a the letter "E" on the esc button on a keyboard??? Same process, something different? I usually use a heat gun... I'm going to have to get a magnifying glass or something!!!
I solder a lot of 0402 components and those head magnifiers are great I also use a led light focused on the spot being worked on. I also like Solder Paste which makes life easier. You can reflow one end of the component but solder the other end. I have found that trying to reflow both ends One end sits up and I end up with a component sticking up at 30Deg. or so. I also solder wick up the solder at one end of the Track.
Hope this helps.
H_M
Beginner

pityocamptes

Joined Jul 25, 2012
Reflowed the chip yesterday. I thought it came out fine. PIA though, very small! Anyways, is there a way to test the chip on the board to make sure all the connections are good, and that the heat did not damage the chip? I used a heat gun on low and held it about one inch off the chip until the solder melted, slightly push down on chip with dental tool, and then removed heat, and let naturally cool. Thanks!