Would 2 circular transformer cores work?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
If I would my own transformer on a primary and secondary core, both of which were on steel or iron rings (cores would be circular),

Would this work? I would think I would have a standard step down transformer with the primary connected to the mains and the secondary connected to the primary of my custom transformer which would be 1:1.

If I could get 10V and a few hundred ma out of it I think that would be enough,

What would happen if the secondary was spinning parallel to the primary at around 800-2000 rpm?

Just kicking around ideas for ways to power a propeller clock board?

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Attach a small generator on the motor which will rotate the propeller clock. The generator will power the electronics on the board which will rotate. Or attach coils on the moving part and permanent magnets below as to generate power as the coils pass by the magnets (custom generator).

Are you going to transmit the control signals wirelessly?

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
A sircular core has low flux leakage so two stacked would make a poor transformer. Rotating one would make a complicated poor transformer. Two E cores, or pot cores could make a transformer which can allow some movement between halvs. Need better definition of circular core as pot cores are round.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
If u did not get enuf inductance in the primary form ur hand wound transformer, it will go up in smokes if u apply power to it

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Do you mean like a toroid? One of the advantages of those is that the magnetic force doesn't move far out side of it. So probably wouldn't work well.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Thanks everyone!

OK another idea goes done in flames. :) This it probably why it has not be done before. If it worked, I was hopping to somehow transmit information to the spinning board through the "transformer".

I already had an idea for a generator. I tried a floppy disk as a generator. But it does not supply enough current at least from what I can see.

I might try a fan to see if I can get better results. But I might need to roll my own as suggested.

Whatever I pick I still have a problem. If the board is stopped then I would lose power to the board. No way to set the time. I suppose I could have a rechargeable battery but then I would need to come up with a charging circuit. But at least then I could have the clock continue to run while it was unplugged.