World Cup 2010

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by R!f@@, Jun 19, 2010.

1. R!f@@

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Any one interested in this event?

I am not a big fan, but I did played soccer quite well in the school days.
    Our team was the best of our age at that time.

AAAH! good old days.
    I would sneak away at dawn to go to practice, as dad was not too happy that I played soccer.
    Would get good smack every once in a while.
    Now don't just have the time to play anything, except I do find some time to play with girls :p

2. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    Do you have a team In the games. Who are you wanting to win.

3. R!f@@

Apr 2, 2009
    I sometime go fro Brazil, Argentina, and good teams like that. no team specific.
    totally depends on my mood at the time.

4. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    USA, USA, USA ...second choice, Germany. It destroyed Australia. But the road since has not been so smooth.

John

5. R!f@@

Apr 2, 2009
    oh yeah..now we are getting somewhere..

6. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    What is the world cup?

7. VoodooMojo

Nov 28, 2009
    I thought Bai Bala and Cricket were the national pastimes of the Maldives?
    and Squash

8. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    WHAT? No.

Repairing saltwater damaged PC boards and living in your parents basement are the favorite pastimes of the Maldivian people. ;)

9. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  10. R!f@@

Apr 2, 2009
    Maldives favorite past time is Soccer, in Maldivian tongue it is commonly referred as football. Bai Bala is an ancient past time still played in certain events and holidays.

Voodoo,
    how did you know of bai bala, I am indeed surprised.
    Football to you is something else.
    On the other hand, politicians past time is cricket, when they are not robbing people.

As for retched's comment.

Here are some things that I would like to make clear.

Unlike you, we, Maldivians live together, from the beginning. This infact have risen a lot of problems with in the family.
    American and other parts of the world, when you are above 16 ( meaning from that you are mature ) you are entitled to live separately if you desire. You have ur own job and you move out. You live with ur gf/bf until u decides to get married. This is what I have learned so far from ur social life. You leave ur parents and when they are old they are taken to some place where they are taken care of. Since u have a lot of spare land you can find a lot and build ur home and start over.

On the other hand land is limited here and top is the only way we can go, so we build 2 to 10 storey buildings, which could have from a single room apartments to 4 room apartments with living room and adequate working place if your parents have a huge land space or a lot of money.
    And we, Maldivians never let go of parents, instead we look after them till they pass away.
    Once the elderly is grown up and get's a job, mainly he is the one taking care of the whole family. even though their are a lot of problems created with in the family due to wives been mainly greedy, since the wives are the ones coming from another island and they are 95% interested in the money the main man creates or the share of his land space which will be passed on once the parents pass away.

We are not allowed to live together without getting married, if anyone is known to live together, neighbors are the ones creating problem and informing authorities. Believe me our neighbors are the worst kind.

We do not have a basement, since the water line is almost few feet's away, I thought you guys should have seen the water line from my civil thread. It's only around 8 feet from the floor. I did thought of having a basement but the amount of money needed was too much to make the basement water proof. So we decided to use the ground floor to make a machine shop and a motor cycle garage.

In my family, me and my brothers and sisters are the one looking after my parents. Unlike other parents ours now do not interfere with our lives, since now they have learned interfering with children married life can have a very bad effect on the family. I am the one keeping them together.
    A lot of problem do arise as the little ones do not get enuf money to live their lives due to economy growth and expenses. They have taken loans from here and there. I am the only one not married and I try to keep them together by providing them when they are broke. I find my happiness in seeing them happy. Besides I love to work the way I do, I earn a lot but I do not have anything in my account or in my company account, all of the money for the month will be spent on them, every time. But I don't complain even though the things I want gets delayed most of the time cause god as always provided me ways to earn when I needed, so I have nothing more to ask from him than what I am worth.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  11. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    As I hope you know, I was just making a joke.

And yes, in America, quite a few people move out at 18 or so years old and start their own lives. Some also get thrown out. I have known many people over the years. When I was a teenager, I had friends whos parents wanted them to have jobs at 16 and start paying rent to live at home, then wanted them out at 18, or once they finished high school.

It was a way to teach their kids that "life isn't fair".

To tell you the truth, EVERY person I knew that had parents like that ended up badly.

Other friends were able to just do chores and housework for a little spending money to be sure that work wasn't affecting their schooling. Then after high school, they went away to college or stayed at home and got a job. They were allowed to live at home for free so they could save their money for when they wanted to move out.

One thing you have to understand, In america, everything is based on owning a home. If you have a home, you can do things. You can get loans to start a business or vacation or whatever. If you have no home, you have no REAL credit.

Sure you can get a few thousand dollar credit card, but the interest will keep you down forever. If you have a house, even though you are in debt paying for the house, the credit companies dont consider it negative debt like credit cards. It is positive debt. It is debt that is making you money.

With a home, if you need 10,000 dollars, you can get a loan against the house, for tens of percent less than credit card interest.

So parents feel the way to get their kids ready for the "real world" they need to get a house so they can live OUT of the grasp of negative dept with huge interest. Even if you have $10,000 in credit card debt, paying 18% interest, you can pay that off with a home equity loan and transfer that negative debt at 18 or more % to positive debt at less than 5% interest.

As for getting old. Many do put their elderly parents in nursing homes. Many do not.

A lot of Americans invite their parents into their homes for the last parts of their lives. Now if Alzheimer or other terminal diseases take hold, the nursing home is a place where 24 hour 7 day medical care can be established. And end of life care can be as comfortable (sedated) as possible for the parent.

I think it is great that you do what you do. But, families do not live well together. Especially when adult urges have to be contended with. I do not want to be making babies in the same house that my mom and dad live in...only 2 doors away.

And when it comes to bringing your wife, or your sisters husband into the mix, relationships are BOUND to have quarrels. Having to hold in your true feelings WILL lead to explosive fights and bad feelings. I could not have lived in the same house as many of my girlfriends parents. The main reason these women were with me was to escape their parents twisted mindsets. If we had arguments about adult things, I would not be able to express myself, because I would have my girl, her mother, and father, all against me. So, after letting that all build up for so long it leads to bad, bad things.

When it comes to raising your children, many people DO NOT want to raise their children the same way their parents raised them. This would be impossible in a house like this. That will lead to huge fights also.

There are some things children should not be privy to. And they cannot be avoided in a whole family household.

I have seen 40 year olds still being treated like children by their parents in front of their own kids. If your child sees your parents calling you names and such, they will not respect you and any authority. They can undermine you and go to grandma or grandpa to get what they want.

The friends of mine who grew up paying rent from 16, had NO money to take on the world and were in debt from day 1. Always living in apartments, never owning. Never able to get low interest loans or even larger high interest loans. If you make 30,000 a year, companies wont give you more than 20% of your yearly pay in credit.

That includes rent. So if you pay 1000 in rent and 500 in utilities and 500 for a car, you can only get 4000 in high interest creditcards.

So you will be in negative debt for the rest of your life. Many have led lives of alcohol and drug abuse, prison terms, and suicide.

It is amazing how cut-and-dry it is.

12. R!f@@

Apr 2, 2009
    I will talk about our lives in my civil thread. this is a world cup thread.

My dad and mom is up always watching the game on TV. :D

retched.
    I know you were joking...no biggie...I just thought I'll let you know our ways

13. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    USA made it to the sweet sixteen. Or, is that the other round ball sport? Anyway, we are there.

John

14. R!f@@

Apr 2, 2009
    Portugal sent DPRK down the drain

15. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    The U.S. loan system Is up side down,no one Is getting loans on property.
    Our big country Is In bad shape. Our families are getting closer because of need.
    Government salaries are keeping the economy going slowly.

16. R!f@@

Apr 2, 2009
    U not the only one.
    Same thing is happening here

17. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    England are through too. I seem to be the only person not interested in it. The place is like a ghost town when the games are on. I went to the supermarket and there was hardly anyone there. I think most of the staff were in the back room watching too.

18. R!f@@

Apr 2, 2009
    Here there are projectors on every corner watching the games

19. steveb

Jul 3, 2008
    Do you get smacked for that also? ;)

20. R!f@@

Apr 2, 2009
    Dad does not know any thing about my social life, in fact no one does.
    I am real genius keeping my relation a secret.
    I am always up, mostly at night. So, nobody knows what goes on. :D