Works for a while, then burns in a nebulous way...

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Bertus :
thank you again, I'll have a look at this thread for sure !

JohnInTX :
Fortunately, my steppers aren't back spun, so I don't have the problem of gigantic spikes that would burn the diodes.
Just a question, if you finally placed a PNP shunt regulator to limit under 35V the generated current, were the 1kV shottky diodes still necessary or the first ones would have been sufficient ?
Thank you anyway for your impressive and detailed answer, I did burn an arduino when I hand back spun the motors, but it was an incident : it isn't supposed to happen in normal operation.
However the pnp shunt regulator is one more thing I need to get interested in ;)
I'm a fairly poor skilled user of eagle, I'll take some time to get more insight into ERC and DRC abilities of the software.

kubeek :
I misunderstood you first question, sorry for that ! They are not that long as I said, about 20cm long. And their are quite far from the power wires of the steppers, lets say 6 or 7cm, so I suppose that induction is negligible ?
Yes I forgot that one : output 3 is the ground, while Output 1 and 2 are respectively connected to an optocoupler (with a 500ohms resistor to limit current).

As everyone answer, I see there are many possible causes to my problem... and I'm afraid not to be skilled enough to solve them all (if I didn't fix the good one I would burn another arduino, and djsfantasi wouldn't understand why ;) )

So, I thought to an alternative solution (which I doubt is clean and tidy...) but that catch up with your piece of advice Takao21203 : separating the board in two circuitries, one for the arduino and the second for the power components, linked thanks to optocouplers. Each would have their own power supply, of course, and I would also make all the modifications you told me (if possible because I've serious limitations on available space).
Is that the better attempt I can consider ?

Thank you all, again !
Bazinga!

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Just a question, if you finally placed a PNP shunt regulator to limit under 35V the generated current, were the 1kV shottky diodes still necessary or the first ones would have been sufficient ?
After seeing the 600Vp-p I didn't mess with it. 1KV diodes cost nothing compared to failed boards.