Working with serial port

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by auststud, May 2, 2009.

1. auststud

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 25, 2009
    I am thankful to everyone for answering my questions.

Now, I need help in interfacing mobile with computer through serial port using visual basic. The signal obtained from RS232 will be passed to IC MAX232. I found some code in VB for serial port, but doesnt seem to work.

The cable used for connection has 9 pins from one side and 4 pins from the other end. I was told that, I have to make some connections internally, by joining some pins, which I will be doing. But, how should the 4 pins from the end be connected??? Can anyone plz send me the Complete information and the proper code in VB for serial port communication, please???

I have searched a lot on internet and tried with lot of codes, but they dont give proper output. First of all, I want to do a simple test of the cable, by obtaining the requied voltage for MAX232, plz tell me.

Thanx a lot.......
  2. electronictech

Apr 1, 2009
    An easy way to test your hardware is to use hyperterminal to analyze the incoming/outgoing data, along with an LED and a resistor to verify the connections.

Connect an LED/resistor across the output side of your hardware, then by just pressing 'RETURN' in hyperterminal you should see the LED light up each time you press 'RETRUN'.

Good luck.
  3. XtremeelectroniX

Nov 6, 2008
    I presume when you say "mobile" you are referring to a GSM Phone??
    Does this cable you have, connect directly to a PC? If it is specifically a UART cable then there is no need for the MAX232 chip at all!!!!