Working with Jim Williams...check out his work style.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by kingdano, Aug 4, 2010.

1. kingdano

Thread Starter Member

Apr 14, 2010
    If anyone recalls i have been working with Jim Williams on a Royer design - which he whipped up in an afternoon after hearing some basic specs...

Attached are some images of the physical unit he sent - very hack/slash friendly - which is right up my alley.

He also attached a hand written write up (on graph paper) and a hand drawn schematic.

As i document this in a more stable media (ie - digital schematics and a word document write-up etc) i will add to this thread.

This is PROOF positive that in order to be a really good engineer you dont need to be a pristine assembler, only have knowledge of how electricity and electronics work - the rest is personal preference.

2. kingdano

Thread Starter Member

Apr 14, 2010
    hand written writeup and schematics attached as a pdf

3. flat5

Nov 13, 2008
    Very interesting, thank you.

4. sage.radachowsky

May 11, 2010
    Really good see. I love to see the way that masters can do things well with no flash or glam. I like how Bob Pease writes things on the backs of envelopes during his webinars. Thanks for posting.

5. kingdano

Thread Starter Member

Apr 14, 2010
    no problem!

I attached a pdf of the circuit - drawn in OrCAD Capture for documentation purposes at work.

I have a few questions for Jim which i will hopefully get to ask tomorrow afternoon, or Friday by the latest - mostly related to the LT1122 and LT1366 voltage rails - and if there was any supply bypassing he used on them. I am not 100% sure that they both run off of +/- 15V not clear from the schematic or breadboard.

Also, the biasing on the LT1366's (driving the PNP) + terminal is odd looking to my eye.

Also i dont know how to tap the high voltage out for use on external components - or rather, what he would suggest. I cant imagine clips would be wise.